The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:12:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 209857 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 12, 2013, 04:15:11 PM »

The one who's ideology doesn't involve killing me and my family for the sake of revolution.

You cannot say such horrible things of Groucho, the most influential thinker in History.
The fact that you think Karl Marx is the most influential thinker in historyis absurdity and ignorance in its own right.

Continuing the venerable tradition of posting directly into the deluge I see, Sanchez.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #451 on: August 12, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »

Harper government is fully responsible for Lac-Mégantic accident.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #452 on: August 12, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »

The one who's ideology doesn't involve killing me and my family for the sake of revolution.

You cannot say such horrible things of Groucho, the most influential thinker in History.
The fact that you think Karl Marx is the most influential thinker in historyis absurdity and ignorance in its own right.

You know perfectly that only Jesus Christ is comparable to Karl Groucho Marx in influence. Another question is if you are not willing to admit the simple fact.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #453 on: August 12, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »

Misvoted as Marx is obviously far more influential. But policy-wise Hayek is infinitely preferable to Marx considering Hayek, despite his image and rhetoric, supported a welfare state.

Emphasis mine.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #454 on: August 12, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »

Misvoted as Marx is obviously far more influential. But policy-wise Hayek is infinitely preferable to Marx considering Hayek, despite his image and rhetoric, supported a welfare state.

Emphasis mine.

Hayek's ideology doesn't call for my execution, so I think he is preferable policy wise.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #455 on: August 12, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »

You know perfectly that only Jesus Christ is comparable to Karl Groucho Marx in influence. Another question is if you are not willing to admit the simple fact.
Plato? Aristotle? Sophicles? Voiltare? Locke? Jefferson? None of these people are as influencial as Marx? None? Not one?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #456 on: August 12, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »

Maybe Jefferson is. But otherwise, no, of course not.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #457 on: August 12, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »

Maybe Jefferson is. But otherwise, no, of course not.

For better or worse, Aristotle had considerable influence across a broad range of scientific disciplines for over two thousand years.  I don't think Marx could ultimately be a side note.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2013, 07:28:22 AM »

Emphasis mine.

Hayek's ideology doesn't call for my execution, so I think he is preferable policy wise.

Do you actually know anything at all about Marx? It doesn't seem like you do.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #459 on: August 13, 2013, 07:47:44 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2013, 07:54:35 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

Plato? Aristotle? Sophicles? Voiltare? Locke? Jefferson? None of these people are as influencial as Marx? None? Not one?

Plato is arguable, and Aristotle is probable, but none of the others, at least not as individuals, no.

At least at our moment in history, Confucius, Shakyamuni, Aristotle, Christ, Muhammad, and Marx, and potentially a few others who I would be forgetting rather than deliberately leaving out, are pretty much in a class of their own in terms of historical influence. Marx is, however, so much more recent than all of the others that it might not look that way three or five or eight hundred years down the road. The only individual, specific liberal (broadly speaking) thinker who I think could possibly fit into this class is indeed Locke, but I just don't think Locke's contributions are as irreplaceable as all that.

I guess Galileo or Newton could be considered vaguely deserving of placement in such a pantheon, but more as symbols than as men, really. (Then again, this could be argued to be true of several of the others as well.)

In any case I don't think this sort of speculation is really all that helpful beyond being fun to think about for obsessive-categorizer types like me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #460 on: August 13, 2013, 08:12:01 AM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #461 on: August 13, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »

Plato is arguable, and Aristotle is probable, but none of the others, at least not as individuals, no.

At least at our moment in history, Confucius, Shakyamuni, Aristotle, Christ, Muhammad, and Marx, and potentially a few others who I would be forgetting rather than deliberately leaving out, are pretty much in a class of their own in terms of historical influence. Marx is, however, so much more recent than all of the others that it might not look that way three or five or eight hundred years down the road. The only individual, specific liberal (broadly speaking) thinker who I think could possibly fit into this class is indeed Locke, but I just don't think Locke's contributions are as irreplaceable as all that.

I guess Galileo or Newton could be considered vaguely deserving of placement in such a pantheon, but more as symbols than as men, really. (Then again, this could be argued to be true of several of the others as well.)

In any case I don't think this sort of speculation is really all that helpful beyond being fun to think about for obsessive-categorizer types like me.

I'd throw Martin Luther if the standard is influencing the geo-political scene.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »

Et tu, Nathan?

Quite true.  Groucho Marx is quite obviously the one shining beacon by which all other great men of history are judged, and the fact that people are even debating this is a sad commentary on not just their judgment, but their very reading comprehension. Tongue
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #463 on: August 13, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »

At least at our moment in history, Confucius, Shakyamuni, Aristotle, Christ, Muhammad, and Marx, and potentially a few others who I would be forgetting rather than deliberately leaving out, are pretty much in a class of their own in terms of historical influence.

Of course you are right (I'm afraid I know little about Shakyamuni) including Muhammad and Confucius, from a global perspective. We are always too Eurocentric. On the other hand, it's nice to read a serious and knowledgeable poster and I like speculations sometimes.

Quite true.  Groucho Marx is quite obviously the one shining beacon by which all other great men of history are judged

Absolutely.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #464 on: August 13, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2013, 01:51:51 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

? I said it was a type of speculation I don't really take all that seriously.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Accurate.

I'd throw Martin Luther if the standard is influencing the geo-political scene.

Good point, actually.

Of course you are right (I'm afraid I know little about Shakyamuni) including Muhammad and Confucius, from a global perspective. We are always too Eurocentric. On the other hand, it's nice to read a serious and knowledgeable poster and I like speculations sometimes.

Shakyamuni is better known as Gautama Buddha, but 'Shakyamuni' ('Sage of the Shakya Clan') or 'Shakyamuni Buddha' is the name that my professors generally prefer for whatever reason, so it's the one I generally use. And thanks!
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #465 on: August 13, 2013, 11:29:17 PM »

It's easy for upper middle class white liberals to criticize some of these policing strategies, because they never had to live in the South Bronx or East Flatbush.  They would be fine going back to the days when the NYPD didn't event try to police large parts of NYC.  But, believe me, it's certainly better to have overzealous cops than gangs killing kids left and right.

While I would have liked more community policing and a less stop-and-frisk tactics and slavish devotion to crime stats, he's done a good job overall.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #466 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:42 AM »

Emphasis mine.

I prefer a social market economy in a capitalist framework rather than the total abolition of capitalism (either immediately or gradually). I see nothing abnormal with that sentiment.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #467 on: August 14, 2013, 04:24:01 AM »

Groucho Marx is quite obviously the one shining beacon by which all other great men of history are judged,

You Bet Your Life!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #468 on: August 14, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »

All of krazen's posts from this page on:https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=165252.100
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #469 on: August 14, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »

All of krazen's posts from this page on:https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=165252.100

Yup.  He's making absolutely no sense in that one.  Can't even take the "I'm an evil realist MUA HA HA HA HA" shtick seriously in that one because what he has to say is so absurd.  Especially the insinuation that Detroit's Top 2 employers being public sector has anything to do with it's dilapidated situation.   
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2013, 12:18:08 PM by Ferdie the Indestructible »

What's up with all the Republicans voting for the uber-liberal Tsongas?  Brooke may have had some bad behavior, but surely he was more conservative, right?

Indeed, Edward Brooke was such a freaking conservative that he won an endorsement from a noted John Birch Society member and gay-hunter named Barney Frank.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #471 on: August 16, 2013, 11:47:01 PM »

"Hmmm..." he pondered aloud, as he stared at his computer. "How to best to announce my return to the Atlas forum after a long hiatus?" And then it hit him, like an abusive husband hits his wife. He began furiously hitting away at the keys on his keyboard, like an abusive spouse furiously hits his or her spouse. Triumphantly, he hit down on the left mouse button--in much the same way an abusive spouse hits down on the battered mother or father of her or his children--posting the thread. "This domestic violence joke will really win them over," he smiled, like an abusive spouse smiles after abusing his or her spouse.

I'm Back yet again!

The Atlas is like an abusive husband!

You hate it for beating you but yet you run back to it anyways!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #472 on: August 17, 2013, 01:22:29 AM »

Mods pls rename thread to: "Straight white male: 'Why do people make such a big deal about race???'" thx

Can you take your hateful views somewhere else please, we all know you're racist, no need to provide us with more evidence.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #473 on: August 17, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »

Is this somehow related to Orson Scott Cards claim that Obama is building an army of angry inner city minorites to kill Christians and conservatives?

Obama has stated this openly.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #474 on: August 17, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »

Re: The GOP

I mean, they're close. They're essentially one of those far-right populist parties that win about 10% of the vote in most European countries.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies