My mind is melting away...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:34:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  My mind is melting away...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My mind is melting away...  (Read 1206 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »

My menial job and poverty stricken lifestyle have left me extremely mentally unsatisfied lately. I'm thinking of doing a research project to reboot my atrophied brain muscles. I suppose it ought to have something to do with politics given my well-established base of knowledge and propensity for statistics. So the floor is open, would you like to see some sort of research posted here and if so WHAT the hell should I look into? Marijuana legalization, gun control, some kind of partisan study, real estate development, economic growth? Get real specific with it if you want.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »

Actually, I did a small presentation on urban education and gang violence for a sociology class that might be interesting to delve more factually into if anyone's into that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »

Dude, if you want to do research, do something for me before I lose my job. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »

stop smoking weed
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2012, 01:50:25 PM by fezzyfestoon »

Probably not a bad idea. I used to be just as productive when smoking, but now it's just making me lazier than I already was. It's mostly just a matter of will power, of which I am running out. Actually, as this stream of thought is occurring, I'm thinking maybe the focus of my energy is the problem. Clearly I need to invest even less of my daily energy in work and focus on things that matter. If a research project doesn't work then I guess I'll be forced to consider cutting down on the plants...
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »

Probably not a bad idea. I used to be just as productive when smoking, but now it's just making me lazier than I already was. It's mostly just a matter of will power, of which I am running out. Actually, as this stream of thought is occurring, I'm thinking maybe the focus of my energy is the problem. Clearly I need to invest even less of my daily energy in work and focus on things that matter. If a research project doesn't work then I guess I'll be forced to consider cutting down on the plants...

You've been to Amsterdam, right? The Northern Europeans always offer prudent advice (although I don't quite understand why they're eight points in Dutch and six points in English):

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »

Because they figure tourists wouldn't buy in the street instead of finding a bonafide coffeeshop (no.7) or take their cannabis abroad (yeah right. No.8.)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »

You've been to Amsterdam, right? The Northern Europeans always offer prudent advice (although I don't quite understand why they're eight points in Dutch and six points in English):

Dutch secrets, that's all Tongue
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »

can i have a moment of your time to talk about our lord and saviour Jesus Christ
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »

can i have a moment of your time to talk about our lord and saviour Jesus Christ

Oooh, yes. That's exactly what I need Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 08:05:27 PM »

Switch from weed to bourbon.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »

Analyze and predict current and future population trends in various places using census and other housing data as well as school enrollments.

For example, if you look at the enrollment trends of the St. Francis school district, an exurb of the Twin Cities, you might have predicted the housing bubble popping well before it did.

After years of enrollment growth as the community exploded with new growth, in about 2004, enrollment in each grade began shrinking from year to year.. indicating that students were moving out of hte district.  This was especially apparent in younger grades, indicating it was younger families moving out (mortgage problems).  Then in the past few years, Kindergarten enrollments began to plummet despite births generally increasing from 2000-2007/8... a major indication that the city had suddenly stopped seeing new young families moving in.

At the same time, the exact opposite began occurring in the 1st ring suburb of Richfield, built up largely during the 40s and 50s.  It peaked at 47,000 people at the 1970 census and lost 20% of its population during the 70s as thousands of children graduated high school in the massive baby boom wave and moved out, leaving behind a city of empty nesters.  Population shrank moderately until the latter half of the past decade.  Suddenly the grades began growing from year to year, indicating families were moving into Richfield.  Again, this was most apparent in the younger grades, indicating young families were driving the growth.

Most importantly, the number of births in the city exploded from about 375 to 650 from 2000-2006.  In the past few years, kindergarten enrollment has soared and the district is out of room in its elementary schools.  This is a school district that was graduating 1200 student per year in the early 70s.. with incoming kindergarten classes at around 280 students by 1980.  It's another boom for them.

Maybe you could do a study on this type of thing in your area.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »

Well, number 7 is probably readable by a native English speaker with good linguistic skills

"Buy no cannabis on the street.  Instead, seek a bonafide coffeeshop out."

Though I'm a little confused on number 8.  Perhaps someone fluent in the Dutchspeak can help me out:

The jist of it seems to be "Never take cannabis into the _____land."  It translates on the translator as "Booty land"... whatever the f[inks] that is.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 11:17:43 PM »

Well, number 7 is probably readable by a native English speaker with good linguistic skills

"Buy no cannabis on the street.  Instead, seek a bonafide coffeeshop out."

Though I'm a little confused on number 8.  Perhaps someone fluent in the Dutchspeak can help me out:

The jist of it seems to be "Never take cannabis into the _____land."  It translates on the translator as "Booty land"... whatever the f[inks] that is.

It's saying don't take it out of the country. Because the prude countries have prude laws and you can get in trouble.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 11:19:36 PM »

Why don't you learn a new language? Same or more intellectual stimulation and probably more useful to you.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 12:25:13 AM »

Why don't you learn a new language? Same or more intellectual stimulation and probably more useful to you.
Pretty tough to do outside of a few ethnic neighborhoods. I wish my French were still as good as it was in college. Good luck maintaining that in Memphis.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 03:38:41 AM »

Pretty tough to do outside of a few ethnic neighborhoods. I wish my French were still as good as it was in college. Good luck maintaining that in Memphis.

Well he can buy a Rosetta Stone or whatever for whichever language he's interested in and just spend an hour or so a day on that. Though yeah, it's hard to really become fluent (at least in speaking/writing; listening/reading is doable) unless you live in an area where the language is common.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 03:46:19 AM »

Go to graduate school.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 10:33:28 AM »

[snippity]

It's saying don't take it out of the country. Because the prude countries have prude laws and you can get in trouble.
[/quote]

*cough*

Because they figure tourists wouldn't buy in the street instead of finding a bonafide coffeeshop (no.7) or take their cannabis abroad (yeah right. No.8.)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »

Or smoke a higher quality weed Cheesy
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »

Well he can buy a Rosetta Stone or whatever for whichever language he's interested in and just spend an hour or so a day on that. Though yeah, it's hard to really become fluent (at least in speaking/writing; listening/reading is doable) unless you live in an area where the language is common.

Oh my god! Actually, I have Rosetta Stone Spanish, that would be a perfect project.

Also possibly helpful...

I was thinking about it. First is getting a job that will pay for it.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »

Unless you go the PhD route, in which case you may get funding.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »

Put your research efforts into finding a job that is fulfilling and pays more. Wink

Aside from that, maybe learn some computer programming and make an app or a game or something in your spare time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies