Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:14:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Does the forum accept anti-evangelical sentiments more than the same sentiments about other religions?
Yes, and this is acceptabe

Yes, and this is unacceptable

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?  (Read 8986 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2019, 11:02:26 PM »

I don't think it's normally a good idea to bash anyone.

Religion, like many subjects, is on some levels a truth claim. Different people have different answers to basic existential questions and they have come to these answers through a wide variety of factors, from biological to conditioning to emotional to rational and everything in between.

In the US, we deemed that freedom of thought was an important thing to protect. That goes back to our understanding of rights in our civic framework. If people are free to consider whatever set of fundamental ideas they believe in, then freedom to practice a religion is critical to that. It is one of the most critical aspects of freedom of thought, since it involves the most deeply personal and comprehensive classes of thought. As such it makes sense for religion to be protected in the US.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2019, 07:06:35 AM »

I see plenty of people ragging on Islam, Catholicism and Mormonism on this site.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2019, 12:34:50 PM »

I see plenty of people ragging on Islam, Catholicism and Mormonism on this site.

Mormonism?

I've seen the first two but not Mormonism. People are surprisingly respectful of it, given some of the church's social stances. Ir maybe I'm just hanging out on the wrong boards Tongue
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2019, 12:36:27 PM »

Mormonism?

I've seen the first two but not Mormonism. People are surprisingly respectful of it, given some of the church's social stances. Ir maybe I'm just hanging out on the wrong boards Tongue

I openly ridicule all religions and denominations except Judaism, Islam, and nihilist Christianity.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »

I criticize Evangelical Christianity from many perspectives...societal, cultural, political, and most seriously, from a religious/Christian perspective.

I grew up in a non-church going family but went to a non-denominational (read:  Evangelical) Christian school that used Bob Jones University Press and Abeka books, was involved with ELCA and LCMS churches and an independent Baptist church.  Then I went to a Catholic university.  I’ve made the rounds.

I only ever saw evangelical christianity as a restrictive, oppressive, authoritarian, incurious, insular, closed-minded, judgmental form of social control. (Will this be deleted for trolling too?)

These were things I noticed early on.  Then I realized I was gay and that alienated me to it completely so I always felt like an outsider looking in and an imposter.  It allowed me to see it for what it is.  It is destructive to people who are forced to grow up in it that do not fit the “correct” mold.  I would say even a form of child abuse after a certain point.

I’ve met plenty of absolutely wonderful Evangelical Christians.  I’ve met a good handful of gay ones who go to liberal churches and worship God almost as an act of defiance. 

But the type that cones to mind when someone says Evangelical...is the closed-minded, judgmental, hard-hearted, controlling, and frankly miserable hypocrite.  I can imagine God cringing at the sound of their prayers.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2019, 05:05:22 PM »

Mormonism?

I think that was more of a 2012 thing due to Dem hacks wanting to attack Romney over it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2019, 05:46:14 PM »

On Atlas, sure, but that's because Atlas is left-leaning, and Evangelicals are (as a whole) strongly Republican-leaning. Surprisingly, there's also a decent amount of malice towards atheists here, not sure why.

In America as a whole, definitely not. While you could certainly find people who attack Christians in America, there's much more anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, and anti-secular sentiment here.

Hate to generalize, but there really are two kinds of atheists.  Only one type gets ridiculed here, and for good reason.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the two *types* of atheists, exactly?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2019, 06:09:00 PM »

On Atlas, sure, but that's because Atlas is left-leaning, and Evangelicals are (as a whole) strongly Republican-leaning. Surprisingly, there's also a decent amount of malice towards atheists here, not sure why.

In America as a whole, definitely not. While you could certainly find people who attack Christians in America, there's much more anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, and anti-secular sentiment here.

Hate to generalize, but there really are two kinds of atheists.  Only one type gets ridiculed here, and for good reason.

Militant ones who refuse to accept that anyone *rational* can be anything other than an atheist (i.e., they'll be "civil" with you as long as you go into the debate with the preconceived agreement that YOU hold your positions due to FAITH, which is just fine by them, but they hold their positions due to LOGIC ... if you do not adhere to this, and maintain that you believe in a God or whatever due to rational or scientific theories, their panties get into a very big bunch) and, well, normal ones who don't let being an atheist define who they are/don't think being an atheist says something overly special about who they are.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »

Mormonism?

I think that was more of a 2012 thing due to Dem hacks wanting to attack Romney over it.

This. There was quite a lot of it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »

People who simply don't believe in God, and the Richard Dawkins/Christopher Hitchens types and the people on r/atheism. People who think being an atheist makes them intellectually superior or some sort of ubermensch. Also who push pseudo-historical crap like mythicism.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2019, 01:48:56 AM »

Sorry evangelicists. I changed my mind. There is a huge double standard.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2019, 02:12:16 AM »

I actually was not born into an Evangelical family.  My parents were moderate Lutherans when I was born (I think it was Missouri Synod, but I don't remember, it might have been ELCA).

While not frothing-at-the-mouth fundamentalist, I've never heard the LCMS described as moderate except perhaps in comparison to the Wisconsin Synod. Note also that despite the name, the ELCA isn't what most people today mean when they use the term "Evangelical". Granted, they aren't a fully liberal denomination like the UCC, but at the time your parents would have been members they had some conservative congregations that have since split off.

(Sorry for the necropost, but the post I'm quoting from just got added to the High Quality Posts thread.)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2019, 09:13:06 AM »

I actually was not born into an Evangelical family.  My parents were moderate Lutherans when I was born (I think it was Missouri Synod, but I don't remember, it might have been ELCA).

While not frothing-at-the-mouth fundamentalist, I've never heard the LCMS described as moderate except perhaps in comparison to the Wisconsin Synod. Note also that despite the name, the ELCA isn't what most people today mean when they use the term "Evangelical". Granted, they aren't a fully liberal denomination like the UCC, but at the time your parents would have been members they had some conservative congregations that have since split off.

(Sorry for the necropost, but the post I'm quoting from just got added to the High Quality Posts thread.)

Okay, did some research and the LCMS seems conservative.  It must have been ELCA.  I was thinking LCMS because my dad went to an LCMS as a child.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2019, 11:11:08 AM »

Evangelicals are criticized more frequently because they wield an outsized amount of political power relative to other religious groups in the United States.

All religions deserve criticism, though.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »

Not from me, I hate all religions fairly equally.

To be clear, that doesn't mean I hate religious people, as my spouse and many of my friends are religious - I just hate religion itself.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2019, 11:34:21 PM »

You'll cut your Fedora on that edge.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2019, 09:57:01 AM »

How is that statement edgy? Surely everything in life deserves at least some criticism...
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »

How is that statement edgy? Surely everything in life deserves at least some criticism...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »

That interpretation would make what he said completely meaningless.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2019, 11:53:58 AM »

I fail to see how this is an "edgy" statement, and I was mostly implying that people (secular people, specifically) who criticize Evangelicals should similarly discern problematic attributes in other religions.
James Monroe

« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »

Enough implication of secular people being neckbeards. It's a small minority of the agnostic/atheist/deist/pantheist population.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »

Enough implication of secular people being neckbeards. It's a small minority of the agnostic/atheist/deist/pantheist population.

People who make edgy comments like that are. And Deists/Pantheists? All 5 of them are surely neckbeards.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2019, 01:45:53 PM »

People who make edgy comments like that are. And Deists/Pantheists? All 5 of them are surely neckbeards.

That's the thing... the content of the comment itself is actually something I agree with. Religions are truth claims and ought to be considered as such. However, "criticism" of this sort usually more closely resembles a random and illiterate heckling than an entertainment of ideas in good faith.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2019, 03:36:13 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2019, 03:44:53 PM by gracile »

FWIW I did not intend to be edgy at all with that comment, and it was little more than a throwaway thought at the time. I am sorry that it got mischaracterized it as such.

I should clarify that "All religions deserve criticism" was more of a direct response to the question posed by this thread ("Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?") from a secular perspective. There is somewhat of a double standard with the way irreligious people criticize evangelicals because of their outsized influence, and it should be logically consistent for them to criticize other religions to the same degree. I have noticed that there is often a tendency in secular circles to go after the most egregious religious practices or churches with the most power in society (or worse, discriminating against members of a specific group rather than the institution itself). My comment was more an earnest expression of how it is important for secular people to look at how religion functions on the whole, rather than attacking one antagonistic group.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies