Edwards v. Rudy 2008-who wins New York? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:27:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Edwards v. Rudy 2008-who wins New York? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Edwards v. Rudy 2008-who wins New York?  (Read 5420 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: May 19, 2004, 01:14:51 AM »

I think Rudy would win NY state.  He was able to win elections in the city, which leans Democratic.  The Republicans tend to do better upstate, so Rudy would probably win the upstate areas.  I think he'll run and win for Governor in 2006, so he'll have a real statewide following by 2008.  He'd do far better than the average Republican across the board, and then factor in the home state thing, and I think he'd win.

People who say he'd have trouble in the south are right, though, so the election would be very close.  Unless there was a southern runnin mate...

Guliani did win as mayor of NY, but he beat Dinkins in decline and then Messinger who was an asbolutley horrible candidate.  Guliani declined to run again due to health reasons, he would have been re elected because of 9/11 if he did run, but if he did run for re-election & 9/11 did not happen he would have lost  (wll he may have won if Green boon doggled his campaign the way he did against Bloomberg).
In 08 (although it won't happen since Kerry will win 04:) Edwards could take New York.  Guliani did a hell of a job after the 9/11 attacks, but I don't know how much of an impact that would be 7 years later.  Also it would be tough for him to win NYC despite 9/11.  He did win as mayor twice, but that was against 1 mayor in decline in Dinkins, and a terrible candiate in Messenger,  The turnout was low among Democrats both times, with Edwatds it would be a much bigger challenge to Rudy because Edwards is 100x the candidate than anyone else he has beaten was.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 03:51:23 AM »

I think 9/11 leadership will still have selling power in 7 years.  After all, Eisenhower was elected President 7 years after WWII ended.

I think it would still have selling power to an extent, but not that much that far down the road.  Anyway the point I was making is yeah he did win NYC twice, but boh times had much more to do with the weakness of his opponent than anything he did.  Guliani would be going up against a much stronger candidate in Edwards than he did againstt Dinkins & Messinger.  You put someone half as strong as Edwards on the Dem ticket for NYC mayor in 93 or 97 Rudy loses.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies