Edwards v. Rudy 2008-who wins New York?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:47:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Edwards v. Rudy 2008-who wins New York?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Edwards v. Rudy 2008-who wins New York?  (Read 5421 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2004, 10:52:24 AM »

I think Edwards would win it with 50-55% of the vote...if you must I will explain why.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 11:01:55 AM »

Good one, Boss. I think by 2008 the economy will be in great shape, possibly booming (hopefully booming), Rudy is a moderate to "liberal Republican," it's getting about time for NY to go GOP for a change, so I'll say Rudy would carry NY. But don't worry, Rudy won't get the nomination.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 11:05:57 AM »

Here's why Edwards would win:

1. The city/Long Island:  Rudy probably takes Suffolk and Nassau by comfortable margins, but he runs into trouble in the city.  He is NOT a friend of the black man, they hate him.  Edwards probably takes 60-65% in the city, which is less than usual for a Dem, but still is a wide margin.

2. Upstate: Upstate NY is more conservative/populist, more working class.  Edwards did well upstate in the 03/02/04 primary, and would likely appeal to the rural NY'er.

In total: Edwards with about 55%
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 11:10:05 AM »

Here is my prediction:

Rudy 324
Edwards 214
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 11:10:52 AM »

Rudy. Reagan did it twice, so why Rudy wouldn't.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 11:39:55 AM »

Rudy would win, definatly Rudy.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 11:42:06 AM »

Here is my prediction:

Rudy 324
Edwards 214

CA, WA, PA, MI, WI,NJ,DEVT,ME,MD all go for Edwards

TX and MS go for Rudy.

Roy Moore runs perhaps in which case he wins MS,AL and UT...
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 11:57:09 AM »

Here's why Edwards would win:

1. The city/Long Island:  Rudy probably takes Suffolk and Nassau by comfortable margins, but he runs into trouble in the city.  He is NOT a friend of the black man, they hate him.  Edwards probably takes 60-65% in the city, which is less than usual for a Dem, but still is a wide margin.

2. Upstate: Upstate NY is more conservative/populist, more working class.  Edwards did well upstate in the 03/02/04 primary, and would likely appeal to the rural NY'er.

In total: Edwards with about 55%

If he can be elected Mayor before 9/11, what makes you think he can't take the city now?
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 12:01:24 PM »

I agree Edwards would likely do well in the upstate portions. But... in the city, Rudy was mayor there and he defeated Dave Dinkins, a black man.

It would be an interesting race, but I really doubt that Rudy would get a GOP nomination. He'd do very well in the northeast, but when the race shifted southward and westward, he'd be deep-sixed pretty quick.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 12:26:18 PM »

A Presidential election is different than a mayoral election...he would do well in the city but not nearly as many people would cross party lines.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 12:34:56 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2004, 12:36:24 PM by Josh22 »

This is more like what would happen. Give or take a state.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2004, 01:22:32 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2004, 01:22:53 PM by HockeyDude »

Rudy is a social liberal that would not play well in the South, which votes mainly on social issues, they'd be more inclined to vote for a fellow Southerner, and Edwards would sweep.  Rudy would take a few NE states, but NY is too liberal, as is MA, RI, and VT.  Maine would stick with Edwards barely.  Iowa and Minnesota stick with Edwards' populist message.  Edwards wins in the end.  

Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 01:26:37 PM »

Giuliani may be popular, but there's no way he'd carry NY -- it's more than just NYC, you know, and even there he isn't supported by 100% of the population. He'd do well nationwide I believe, but I still think Edwards would win NY.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2004, 01:50:22 PM »

Edwards is to Libearl for the south. They will just vote for a Republcain.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004, 01:52:04 PM »

Some Moore-type would run and win AL and MS
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004, 01:53:24 PM »

Rudy would take a few NE states, but Iowa and Minnesota stick with Edwards' populist message.

We'd also like his niceness Cheesy

Seriously, Minnesota Nice is a real thing Smiley

*ignore Ventura Wink*
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 02:04:20 PM »

More then likely
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2004, 02:26:28 PM »

I think it'd go something like this

Rudy has a tough combative race with Bill Frist for the nomination he takes big hits in the south but still manages to win every where else. He decides to balance the ticket with a southerner. Though his race against Frist wasn't the most friendly the two don't dislike eachother so Rudy announces that it will be

Guliani/Frist 2008

On the Democrats side of the spectrum the race for the nomination was a breeze for Edwards... He selects Bill Richardson to balance out his ticket...

Edwards/Richardson 2008

Election night looks like this....

Frist just did enough to tilt TN in Guliani's favor... States such as NY, TX, PN, and MI were deadlocked to a 2000 Florida extent. But this time there are no challenges because Edwards is young he'll be back in 4 or 8 years to once again run for the highest office in all the land.....

Would have liked to make it more dynamic but sadly I don't have the time right now.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2004, 02:30:08 PM »

Why would MS/AL go for Edwards and TN go for Giuliani?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2004, 02:31:19 PM »

I douth that north and south carolian would go to edwards.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2004, 06:47:40 PM »

I think it'd go something like this

Rudy has a tough combative race with Bill Frist for the nomination he takes big hits in the south but still manages to win every where else. He decides to balance the ticket with a southerner. Though his race against Frist wasn't the most friendly the two don't dislike eachother so Rudy announces that it will be

Guliani/Frist 2008

On the Democrats side of the spectrum the race for the nomination was a breeze for Edwards... He selects Bill Richardson to balance out his ticket...

Edwards/Richardson 2008

Election night looks like this....

Frist just did enough to tilt TN in Guliani's favor... States such as NY, TX, PN, and MI were deadlocked to a 2000 Florida extent. But this time there are no challenges because Edwards is young he'll be back in 4 or 8 years to once again run for the highest office in all the land.....

Would have liked to make it more dynamic but sadly I don't have the time right now.

California would vote for Guliani over Edwards?  
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2004, 12:08:31 PM »

Okay allow me to justify my map...

California:Arnold won here in a near landlside he, Rudy, has views very much like CA's Governor thus it wouldn't be impossible for CA to go for Rudy.

Tennesse:Rudy has Frist as his VP while all the other southern states were split(except Florida) due to Rudy's liberal stances on social issues... Tennesse, however voted for the Republican ticket more for Frist then for Guiliani.

The rest of the south: I should have added that the Southern states also were very close and deadlocked NC only went Edwards because that is his homestate.

And last but not least... This is for fun people! Common don't take it too seriously Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2004, 12:38:13 PM »

Rudy WOULD NOT win Minnesota. Edwards would win easily. Sure, Rudy would do very well in the suburbs, and might do a little bit better in the Twin Cities than your average Republican (which isn't saying much), but he'd be absolutely slaughtered outstate. An elitist social liberal from NYC vs. a populist from a rural farming region and humble background, which is going to play better with rural Minnesota voters and the union workers? Edwards would probably get over 70% in St. Louis county and over 80% in some northeast precincts. In fact, Rudy could possibly lose every county outside of the ring surrounding Hennepin and Ramsey, and he'd probably win Olmsted as well.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2004, 12:58:56 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2004, 12:59:25 AM by Lt. Gov. Ford »

I think Rudy would win NY state.  He was able to win elections in the city, which leans Democratic.  The Republicans tend to do better upstate, so Rudy would probably win the upstate areas.  I think he'll run and win for Governor in 2006, so he'll have a real statewide following by 2008.  He'd do far better than the average Republican across the board, and then factor in the home state thing, and I think he'd win.

People who say he'd have trouble in the south are right, though, so the election would be very close.  Unless there was a southern runnin mate...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2004, 01:14:51 AM »

I think Rudy would win NY state.  He was able to win elections in the city, which leans Democratic.  The Republicans tend to do better upstate, so Rudy would probably win the upstate areas.  I think he'll run and win for Governor in 2006, so he'll have a real statewide following by 2008.  He'd do far better than the average Republican across the board, and then factor in the home state thing, and I think he'd win.

People who say he'd have trouble in the south are right, though, so the election would be very close.  Unless there was a southern runnin mate...

Guliani did win as mayor of NY, but he beat Dinkins in decline and then Messinger who was an asbolutley horrible candidate.  Guliani declined to run again due to health reasons, he would have been re elected because of 9/11 if he did run, but if he did run for re-election & 9/11 did not happen he would have lost  (wll he may have won if Green boon doggled his campaign the way he did against Bloomberg).
In 08 (although it won't happen since Kerry will win 04:) Edwards could take New York.  Guliani did a hell of a job after the 9/11 attacks, but I don't know how much of an impact that would be 7 years later.  Also it would be tough for him to win NYC despite 9/11.  He did win as mayor twice, but that was against 1 mayor in decline in Dinkins, and a terrible candiate in Messenger,  The turnout was low among Democrats both times, with Edwatds it would be a much bigger challenge to Rudy because Edwards is 100x the candidate than anyone else he has beaten was.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies