Raul Castro: US must return Guantánamo for normal relations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:48:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Raul Castro: US must return Guantánamo for normal relations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Raul Castro: US must return Guantánamo for normal relations  (Read 3387 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: January 31, 2015, 12:47:45 AM »

No normalization until Cuba adopts capitalism and stops supporting left-wing dictatorships in the rest of Latin America. Then sure, we can cede a random exclave, why not.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:08:23 PM »

No normalization until Cuba adopts capitalism and stops supporting left-wing dictatorships in the rest of Latin America. Then sure, we can cede a random exclave, why not.
Why the hell should a country switch economic systems just because the USA told them?

Cuba shouldn't switch economic systems because the USA tells them to, but rather for the general well-being of their people. Switching to capitalism would still be the correct move even if the USA were not a capitalist state.

Also, left wing dictatorships? Last I checked they were all democracies.

Well, when did you check? The last time there were no left-wing dictatorships in Latin America was, I think, sometime in the mid-1990s (though I might be forgetting someone).

Telling that you prioritize capitalism over democracy.

Where did I say that? Democracy hasn't been discussed at all in this thread, or in my post.

Why the hell should a country switch economic systems just because the USA told them? Also, left wing dictatorships? Last I checked they were all democracies.
Any left-wing government is a dictatorship.

Not so. Scandinavian countries for decades on end were ruled by social democratic parties -- including people as extreme as Olof Palme -- and remained composed of democracies.

Pinochet was not a dictator, however.

There seems to be a deal of confusion on the forum about my beliefs about Chile through the 1970-1989 era, so let me take a paragraph to set the record straight: Pinochet was a brutal right-wing dictator, under whose rule opposition was suppressed and tens of thousands were tortured or "disappeared". However, Allende, his left-wing predecessor (besides behaving in a very autocratic manner himself) led a foreign policy of friendship towards left-wing dictatorships whose actions resulted in the deaths of more innocents than Pinochet ever dreamed of killing. That is why I have noted, in thread after thread, and still feel, that Pinochet was "better" or preferable to Allende.

Raul Castro and his "bro" can turn a stool over and sit on it for all I care.....as if these bastards have any right whatsoever to be making demands

^^
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies