Does Mike Lawler (NY-17th) have the possibility of being a Biden-district entrenched Republican rep? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:46:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Does Mike Lawler (NY-17th) have the possibility of being a Biden-district entrenched Republican rep? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Mike Lawler (NY-17th) have the possibility of being a Biden-district entrenched Republican rep?  (Read 1027 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 29, 2023, 09:05:48 PM »

God I hope not. His congressional portrait is the creepiest one I’ve ever seen. He looks like the type to randomly grab womens asses in public

I thought we weren't for judging people based on appearance?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 09:08:01 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2023, 09:11:04 PM by CentristRepublican »

He beat a longtime incumbent assemblywoman in a seat that wasn't expected to be competitive and then took out the asshole DCCC chair in a Biden +10 district despite only launching his congressional campaign in May 2022.

He knows he's in a tough district, and will act accordingly. Don't underestimate him.

I cannot disagree with your assessment of S.P. Maloney. He was an absolutely terrible choice for DCCC chair, and his utterly self-serving conduct post-redistricting - putting himself over other members of the party - was so deplorable he truly deserved to lose.

As long as he doesn't become New York's Mike Garcia he should be fine.
Elaborate?
Mike Garcia is in a Biden +12 seat in California and acts too conservative for his district. If Lawler wants to survive in his double digit Biden seat in New York, he probably will not want to act too conservative for his district.

Yep, following the Katko example (though a bit more conservative) might be a good bet for him.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 09:10:37 PM »

As long as he doesn't become New York's Mike Garcia he should be fine.
Elaborate?
Mike Garcia is in a Biden +12 seat in California and acts too conservative for his district. If Lawler wants to survive in his double digit Biden seat in New York, he probably will not want to act too conservative for his district.

Garcia may be too conservative for his district, but that hasn’t stopped him from winning there.
I think that's largely in part to Democrats running the same poor candidate for 3 straight elections.

SoCal is actually quite weird that way. Reminder that it's not just Garcia - but also Michelle Steel and especially Young Kim (and David Valado's seat is in both NorCal and SoCal as well). Congressional Republicans really outperformed presidential performances in 2020/2022 in SoCal (LA/Orange County, to be more precise).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 09:19:06 PM »

I don’t see him winning in a Democrat wave, no. New York is always prone to toss out pretty much all swing seat incumbents depending on the national mood. See 2010, 2012, 2014, 2018 and 2022.

Katko?

I don’t see him winning in a Democrat wave, no. New York is always prone to toss out pretty much all swing seat incumbents depending on the national mood. See 2010, 2012, 2014, 2018 and 2022.

At the same time, upstate NY (and more generally New England) has been home to a lot of the most extreme examples of ticket splitting at the federal level in recent history. Brindisi, Delgado, and Katko were all prime examples of this in 2020.

That district - the old NY19, that is -  is especially extreme. It voted for Obama by 6 or 7 points in 2012. But in 2014, incumbent GOPer John Faso* - who had only been in office for two terms as well - won by a whopping 29 points (admittedly it was a red wave, and he faced an entitled multimillionaire carpetbagger in Sean Elridge, but still). Mighty impressive overperformance. Then the district swung quite a bit to the right in 2017 to vote for Trump by a margin similar to Obama's 2012 margin - but it nonetheless flipped blue in 2018 with Delgado. And then presidentially, it swung and trended sharply leftward in 2020 to narrowly support Biden.

*Sidenote: I later read more about Faso, and he seemed like a genuinely good representative and one of the more moderate and pragmatic Republicans. Fwiw, especially given the opponent he faced, I would most definitely have voted for Faso in 2014 was I eligible to do so. For more info about Sean Elridge, his absolutely trash opponent, I recommend reading this insightful (and hilariously caustic) article.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies