AL-GOV: Former Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb announces candidacy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:13:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-GOV: Former Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb announces candidacy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AL-GOV: Former Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb announces candidacy  (Read 3575 times)
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« on: June 15, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »

Likely R, but this could become competitive if Ivey gets primaried by some loon like Moore, or if the ghost of Bentley's corruption haunts her into the GE should she win the primary.

It's Alabama. Safe R.

MD was safe D and LA was safe R until they weren't.

My thoughts exactly. Note that both of the seats you mentioned switched hands largely thanks to terrible Democratic and Republican candidates, respectively. I wouldn't put money on Cobb winning this, but there's a non-negligible chance of a walking disaster like Moore or Dawson winning the GOP primary.
Alabama is much less inelastic than MD and LA, even on the state level. Until I see otherwise, this looks like Safe R. Still, Cobb could win in a perfect storm, but the GOP candidate would have to be pretty bad.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »

Might Moore run for Governor if he fails to make it to the Senate?
Possibly. Though I don't see how he makes it past a primary runoff in either the Senate of Governor primaries.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:51:15 PM »

Walt Maddox is in. There is actually going to be a competitive Democratic gubernatorial primary in Alabama.

Are they seeing a close race? I don't get why the few people on Alabama's dem bench are getting in.
Maybe they seriously think Roy Moore will get the R nomination. That + the AL GOP's recent scandals could be enough to make an opening for Democrats.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 09:28:33 PM »

Walt Maddox is in. There is actually going to be a competitive Democratic gubernatorial primary in Alabama.

Are they seeing a close race? I don't get why the few people on Alabama's dem bench are getting in.
Maybe they seriously think Roy Moore will get the R nomination. That + the AL GOP's recent scandals could be enough to make an opening for Democrats.

So are you saying you think Roy Moore may lose the Senate GOP primary in 2017, then run for Governor in 2018 and win the nomination for that office?
It's a possibility. He seems content to continue his career, even though he's politically toxic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies