European Union Expansion by 2030 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:01:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Union Expansion by 2030 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following countries do you see joining the EU by the end of the next decade?
Serbia

Montenegro

Macedonia

Kosovo

Albania

Iceland

Turkey

Bosnia/Herzegovina

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: European Union Expansion by 2030  (Read 22623 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: May 30, 2011, 05:03:54 AM »

It's a shame that only Norway and Switzerland were smart enough...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »

You're seriously claiming the only way to avoid a future World War in Europe is by surrendering political power to Brussels? Really?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »

Franzl, why do you feel that national sovereignty is a positive?  At all?

For the same reason I support federalism within countries. I support decentralization as far as is reasonable and productive. Just as I think states in the U.S. should be free to set most of their own policies, I think European countries should be able to further their interests.

And it's a lot more extreme in Europe, the EU being quite undemocratic and far away from the European people. The U.S. federal government is a lot more tolerable than Brussels.

Add to that that I also strongly believe in competition of ideas. If Spain isn't providing you what you want, go to Germany or Britain where you might get what you want.

What's good about the EU is the free-trade zone and also the free movement policy (sceptical of Schengen, but not totally against it. But even with border controls, you'd still have the right to live and work in any EU country).

There's no reason that needs to be extended to centralized policies from an undemocratic institution in Brussels.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »

You're seriously claiming the only way to avoid a future World War in Europe is by surrendering political power to Brussels? Really?

I do -from my perspective, the European Union has helped immensely as a pacifying force, which was the main reason it (or at least its predecessors) was founded.  You don't see France, Britain, and Germany contemplating war against one another, do you?  The only areas of conflict in Europe that we have seen since the end of the Cold War have been in the Balkans, which (with the exception of Slovenia) are still outside the European Union.  And the main protagonist in those conflicts has been Serbia.  

Then you're not very familiar with modern Europe, if you think that without the EU that France, Germany and Britain would start fighting once again.

There's nothing to suggest that, and an awful lot that would strongly discourage it.

The United States and Canada are separate, sovereign countries....and you don't see them going to war with each other, do you? Why are Britain and Germany different for you?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »

Frodo, using that logic it's just a matter of time before the US and Britain declare war against eachother. You guys have been to war with eachother in the past after all. Not to mention Spain, Spain obviously wants to get back at you for the Mexican War. 

Yeah, Frodo...I really get the feeling you aren't familiar with Europe or Europeans. There's just no reason to fear any type of conflict, with or without the EU.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies