A Democratic lock on the White House? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:35:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  A Democratic lock on the White House? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Democratic lock on the White House?  (Read 5701 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« on: June 08, 2010, 12:03:39 AM »

Its very difficult to project future presidential trends but very easy to observe them once they've already happened.  Many people try to compare Obama to previous presidents in an effort to back up their own projections for the future but its nearly impossible to make any sound projections.  Although each party has enjoyed periods of White House dominance I think that we tend to undervalue the unique sets of people and events leading up to each individual election in an effort to manufacture easy to understand patterns.  I think it has more to do with finding the right candidate for the right moment in time and less to do with any perceived eras of dominance.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:03:42 PM »

Serious articles were written in the 1980s claiming that there was a Republican 'lock' on the White House. Such claims were nonsense then and are nonsense now.

Well, from 1968 to 1992 there was a kind of republican lock. Of course it was more contextual than structural.

Exactly. The Democrats could have won in 1968 with a more charismatic candidate (and no Vietnam War). And if Carter didn't screw up so badly or was never elected in the first place, I seriously doubt the GOP would have won all 3 Presidential elections held in the 1980s.

Which goes back to was I was saying about how each election has more to do with the individual candidates and preceding events than any sort of perceived partisan lock on the Oval Office.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies