Classifying Your State's Counties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 08:09:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Classifying Your State's Counties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Classifying Your State's Counties  (Read 1590 times)
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« on: July 11, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »

Here's my map for SC. SC is kind of hard, so I'm going to explain some things (even though probably only SC posters will dispute this). For starters, "urban" in the context of SC is very different from larger states like NY, CA, or IL. We don't have any fully urban counties here. So, for SC I included the counties which include what I consider to be the main standalone urban centers of the state as "urban". In this case being Greenville, Richland (Columbia), Charleston, and Horry (Myrtle Beach). There were a decent number of counties which I found difficult to classify. The first and most obvious here being Aiken county, which manages to be all and none. It has a decently sized central city (Aiken), but its hard to tell if its exurban or standalone. It is theoretically not that far for commuters to Augusta, but it seems to be relatively independent. Aiken county also includes immediate suburbs to Augusta, and plenty of rural space too. I have no idea what to call it. I differentiated exurban from suburban counties as those which are centered around clearly defined cities, but are economically linked to a larger nearby city. In this category we have Anderson and Spartanburg as satellites to Greenville and Rock Hill (in York County) as a satellite to Charlotte. Some might argue Lexington is exurban but it isn't really a defined city imo. There are some others which were on the fence, such as Pickens and Dorchester which could be considered mostly rural by area but most of their populations are in suburban communities, so I classified them suburban. Darlington county is also iffy and could be rural but it two somewhat notable towns, one of which many people have heard of. Overall SC is very blurry.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 07:11:34 PM »

Yeah, I totally forgot about Tipton and Robertson even existing but they're for sure exurban. Washington being small city also makes sense.

Sevier was one I wasn't sure at all so I just didn't classify.

And yeah Knox and Hamilton are def "Tennessee urban" because they're like, barely what you would consider cities but in Tennessee they seem like metropolises lmao

I will never not be shocked by the existence of people who call places of 180000 inhabitants which are the largest of the respective urban areas "barely cities"...
How? At the very least it's clearly a different typology from truly large cities with at least a million people.
Large city is a relative term. 180000 is a large city to an area with nothing larger.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies