Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:53:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 184341 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: December 09, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »

PA-07 is pretty bad, but MD-03 is absolutely horrendous.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »

White House wants to argue that AVR us unconstitutional:

That argument might hold some water against a law requiring compulsory voting.  But I don't see how it applies to registration; you can still choose not to vote.

I could see it for voter registration that does more than that, such as party registration.  Such a choice could be viewed as compelled speech, even with the option to not choose a party.

I mean, you could have two options: "No Party" and "Did not specify".

Also, I think it'd be pretty tough for the textualists to rule that the act of not registering to vote is protected by the First Amendment.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »

Victory for America!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

WHOOP WHOOP!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »

United States Supreme Court told the PA GOP to F Off!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

YES!

Now we just need to hope Wolf doesn't fold.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »

According to Rick Hansen....the majority opinion for Gil vs Witford has been assigned to either Chief Justice Roberts or Gorsuch

Not lookin too good

TBF I think if there was a 5-4 to strike down gerrymandering, Roberts would join the majority; he'll want broad agreement across ideologies. I also thinks that given how much he cares about it, I wouldn't be surprised if he did want to write the opinion himself.

I'm just worried. The outcomes here seem to be either:

1. Cement gerrymandering as legal
2. Codify the efficiency gap (which is a horrible metric)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »

DoJ is suing Kentucky to force them to purge their voter rolls.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 02:48:26 PM »

Well, voting rights in NV continues to be on a roll. First we passed AVR last November, and now this. Glorious news!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »

Don't overestimate the impact of early voting, however. Studies have shown that early voting results aren't that reliable at predicting the actual winners in many races.

Remember how people were saying that states like FL and NC were virtual locks for Hillary in 2016 due to her early voting advantage in those states? In the case of NC, it turned out that her early voting advantage was less than that of Obama in 2012 (and Obama lost NC that year).

Yeah, as others have said, NV is the one state where EV is consistently predictive due to the vast share of the vote that’s cast early.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 06:26:32 PM »

I didnt know where to post this, but I thought I would share:

For anyone confused, the bill is basically the typical Voting Rights bills the Ds have been pushing around the country. NV has some of the most restrictive voting laws, and it has impacted D performance(since Hispanics are a rather key part of the D coalition here). With this change in voting laws, NV could see a rather quick march towards the Left.
Surprise surprise, the party in power takes steps to help themselves win elections.

Yes, because it is clearly a partisan hack position to think...that people eligible to vote should easily be able to vote.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 05:17:56 PM »

Same-day/auto voter registration is now the law of the land in New Mexico

Woot woot!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies