Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped  (Read 10898 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: April 15, 2016, 03:08:15 PM »

Important point is also that the vast majority of rapes aren't done by strangers at drunk parties. So it's a false "solution" that detracts from a lot of the real problems.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »

It's still good advice -- tell your kids who are too young to drink alcoholic beverages to avoid places in which people are drinking heavily. Alcohol kills inhibitions to a man's sex drive and takes away a girl's ability to resist unwelcome sex. Alcohol almost qualifies as a date-rape drug.

I'm a Democrat, and I fully endorse that message. 

Sorry, but that's utter BS.

There is nothing about drunk parties that would make rape particularly likely if there wasn't other factors at play. And it's ridiculous to think that it's on women to avoid parties if they want to feel safe.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »

Nothing he said is wrong. Alcohol parties are dangerous and really it is stupid for a teenage girl to go, especially alone. That isnt saying it is here fault if things happen, but if you want to be safe it is foolish to put yourself in such obvious danger.

If a woman going to a party is "putting herself in obvious danger" then there is something pretty fcked up about your party culture.

If walking down the street meant you got shot with high probability you'd probably talk more about street safety.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »

If a woman going to a party is "putting herself in obvious danger" then there is something pretty fcked up about your party culture.

Hi, foreigner.  I've never been to your country.  So I take your word for it you guys only have one kind of party over there.  Here in America we literally have an infinite variety of parties and yes the culture surrounding some of those parties is "pretty fcked up" as you put it.  It got lost in all this ridiculous noise but that really is the point.  Heroin parties might be cool and safe for small children in your wonderful country but here in America they are frowned upon as are certain other categories of parties.  Ice cream parties and wine tastings are much more accepted over here and according to scientific data are less rapey.

I totally get that you don't know anything about our country, but what I find bizarre is your incessant need to comment on it.

Kasich was referring to a particular kind of ILLEGAL party and just paraphrased the NIH and multiple city and state ordinances and advised the young lady who asked, to steer clear.  It is pretty normal for someone running for the job of chief law enforcement officer of the land to advise minors to follow the law in this country.  I realize it may be different where you live.

That's cute. So, first of all I was using the third-person you. As in, if a party is such that it is dangerous to be there for a woman then there is something wrong with the party. There are different types of parties in any country, this rule applies in general.

According to scientific data, most rapes have nothing to do with parties. They are primarily driven by predatory behavior, as most women are raped by men they know and trust.

I seem to know more about your country and its issues with sexual violence than you do, sadly.

I don't think it is illegal for college students to attend parties and it most certainly shouldn't be.

You are correct that Sweden is more progressive than the US and that more progressive attitudes can help rectify some of these issues. It is unfortunately not true that this has ridden us of issues concerning rape.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »

You should avoid parties with alcohol involved if you do not have people you trust around you. It is common sense. Sure, we should focus more on the men and women who sexually assault individuals. However, don't put yourself in bad situations because you are partially to blame

Going to a party with alcohol (which is all parties not sponsored by a Mosque or a Mormon temple) is not a "bad situation". That's what I find ridiculous about Kasich's statement.
I did not say that. I just merely said that you avoid parties with alcohol involved if you do not have people you trust around you. A party with alcohol (it really is not a party without it) is not inherently a bad thing or situation. However, it can be. Avoid putting yourself in these situations.

God, you're thick. Whether you can trust someone is hard to know in advance. That's why so many people end up being raped by partners or friends. Secondly, people don't become untrustworthy because you're drunk. These untrustworthy people can be around you all the same.

You're saying women shouldn't go to parties unless they wanna risk being raped. You should take a moment to consider what an awful person you are.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 07:16:35 AM »

I'd also note that of course people should (in some sense of the word) take care of themselves. Parents can be concerned about their kids, etc, parents always are. But public figures shouldn't peddle these types of messages, especially without making clear where the blame falls.

Again, the implication of Kasich's statement is that it is reckless behavior as a woman to go to a party and drink. But it really shouldn't be. It is normal. For me a a guy it is normal. I've gotten pass-out drunk a few times and while that had its cons I could do that being pretty confident that nothing particularly bad would happen to me. And it didn't. Women should have that same right. It really isn't much more difficult than that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies