Why can't republicans acknowledge the fact that they've lost on abortion? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:06:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why can't republicans acknowledge the fact that they've lost on abortion? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why can't republicans acknowledge the fact that they've lost on abortion?  (Read 2927 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 17, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »

This issue will never be resolved in the United States because, as Virginia previously stated, opponents to abortion rights literally believe that abortion is murder.
Virginia said that many, not all, pro-life people believe abortion is murder. Many pro-life people (myself included) do not believe abortion and murder are the same thing. Abortion is the destruction of life, but not all destruction of life is murder.
If it isn't murder, what is it?  Do you just want to put people in jail?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »

This issue will never be resolved in the United States because, as Virginia previously stated, opponents to abortion rights literally believe that abortion is murder.
Virginia said that many, not all, pro-life people believe abortion is murder. Many pro-life people (myself included) do not believe abortion and murder are the same thing. Abortion is the destruction of life, but not all destruction of life is murder.
If it isn't murder, what is it?  Do you just want to put people in jail?

There are many ways in which a human life can be destroyed by other human beings without it being murder, such as killing in self-defense, killing enemy soldiers in war, capital punishment, negligent manslaughter, etc.

The personhood of the unborn is not something which can be defined through science or legislative chambers, except perhaps viability outside of the womb. It is ultimately a matter of religious doctrine and individual morality. Most sects of Judaism certainly have different views on the status of the unborn than most sects of Christianity, and major religions have major disagreements among themselves, as well. It cannot be murder if the woman or the abortionist do not believe themselves to be killing a person.

What is it then?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »

The fundamental difference between the US and Europe on this is both that the predominantly evangelical Religious Right doesn't really exist in the same way in Europe than it does in America: and in most places a legislative compromise was put together and there's no public will to re-open the conversation (and generally the pro-choice side is louder; at least it seems that way from my perspective) whilst in America it was decided through the courts system and one side was entirely dissatisfied with the outcome, so its natural that they'll carry on fighting it.  In the countries that didn't do this (Ireland and Poland come to mind) abortion is still a political issue although perhaps not to the extent to which it is in America.  When you think about it that way, it makes perfect sense why its an issue in the States but not in lots of other countries.

This is one of the ominous consequences of describing your views as "progressive" - it means you sometimes actually forget to provide arguments because your opinions are going to become status quo and undisputed in the near future anyway.

There seems to be something about how one party or side gets incredibly smug just before the time that they get a sudden election loss - that sort of smugness is very reminiscent of some of the Tories that I spoke to just before the UK election.  Although perhaps it is more likely with people who are that type of 'progressive' - I'm not a fan of that term for very similar reasons, really.

Would a post-Roe legislative compromise reduce abortion as an issue?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:17:05 AM »

Sometimes I wish more pro-life people were circumcised vegetarians who had beards, abstained from alcohol and caffeine, but smoked marijuana and burned incense.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:23 AM »

I don't like abortion, should strongly be discouraged and people given every opportunity to not do it (adoption, etc) but it's also amusing to tell Republicans it's freedom to allow it and you're taking away people's freedom to ban it. Makes their heads explode.

Again, without some sort of compromise that almost no one would really like, this is going to almost always be an issue in a unified United States.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:44:30 AM »

I don't like abortion, should strongly be discouraged and people given every opportunity to not do it (adoption, etc) but it's also amusing to tell Republicans it's freedom to allow it and you're taking away people's freedom to ban it. Makes their heads explode.

Again, without some sort of compromise that almost no one would really like, this is going to almost always be an issue in a unified United States.

And even then, it would only go away if it became illegal to talk about the issue.
You mean that literally, seriously (where abortion became a really fringe topic), or both?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:52:29 PM »

Because it is the most important issue facing our country.

Why? In countries like the UK, Germany, France, and Australia, abortion is completely a non issue.

If you'd ACTUALLY READ THE THREAD you'd see why saying that is very silly

If you looked at any of my other posts it would seem pretty clear that this is straight sarcasm

Then use this. "Roll Eyes".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies