Why can't republicans acknowledge the fact that they've lost on abortion? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:11:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why can't republicans acknowledge the fact that they've lost on abortion? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why can't republicans acknowledge the fact that they've lost on abortion?  (Read 2924 times)
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« on: September 17, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »

The fundamental difference between the US and Europe on this is both that the predominantly evangelical Religious Right doesn't really exist in the same way in Europe than it does in America: and in most places a legislative compromise was put together and there's no public will to re-open the conversation (and generally the pro-choice side is louder; at least it seems that way from my perspective) whilst in America it was decided through the courts system and one side was entirely dissatisfied with the outcome, so its natural that they'll carry on fighting it.  In the countries that didn't do this (Ireland and Poland come to mind) abortion is still a political issue although perhaps not to the extent to which it is in America.  When you think about it that way, it makes perfect sense why its an issue in the States but not in lots of other countries.

This is one of the ominous consequences of describing your views as "progressive" - it means you sometimes actually forget to provide arguments because your opinions are going to become status quo and undisputed in the near future anyway.

There seems to be something about how one party or side gets incredibly smug just before the time that they get a sudden election loss - that sort of smugness is very reminiscent of some of the Tories that I spoke to just before the UK election.  Although perhaps it is more likely with people who are that type of 'progressive' - I'm not a fan of that term for very similar reasons, really.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:22:02 PM »

I mean I'm not an American so I'm not the one to answer that question.  Although I think that the length of time that its been a touchstone issue for as many people as it has plus the heated rhetoric around it, that seems rather unlikely.  Plus also: what compromise would be appropriate?  The law in Great Britain (not Northern Ireland - abortion is still illegal there although the ECHR has ruled that is incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights) is that abortion is legal until 24 weeks provided that a woman can convince two doctors that the procedure is needed - its the latter bit that is a lot more restrictive than the American law since its not truly abortion on demand, but considering that the BMA have recently voted to support totally decriminalising abortion before that point that is probably not the barrier that it sounds to most people.  Sure that's one of the more liberal laws in Europe and you could look at some of the other ones but I doubt that would be restrictive enough to most people on the other side of the issue.

Since I think that it might be important to clarify in this thread: my view on abortion is that I am generally pro-choice, I'm... incredibly uncomfortable with the idea of abortion being legal right up until birth so some limitation might be required, but I'm not educated enough to say exactly when.  I feel that the current laws in the UK are alright enough even though I'd like to see the doctors requirement removed but considering that has a very limited impact and that the vast majority of terminations happen very early in the pregnancy, its not something that I'd die on a hill over.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:22:40 AM »

Because it is the most important issue facing our country.

Why? In countries like the UK, Germany, France, and Australia, abortion is completely a non issue.

If you'd ACTUALLY READ THE THREAD you'd see why saying that is very silly
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:59:18 AM »

Because it is the most important issue facing our country.

Why? In countries like the UK, Germany, France, and Australia, abortion is completely a non issue.

If you'd ACTUALLY READ THE THREAD you'd see why saying that is very silly

If you looked at any of my other posts it would seem pretty clear that this is straight sarcasm

This wasn't in reply to you; but the person that replied to you, hence why I quoted them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies