Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:29:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 263108 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #325 on: November 25, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »

Coal is disgusting. Why shouldn't we ban it?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #326 on: December 01, 2013, 11:36:24 PM »

Ontario Dippers: does Horwath really think she could win? Those Ipsos LV numbers suggest a certain type of Horwath surge could lead to a Tory government.

The NDP hasn't had this much of a chance of winning since 1990, so yes. I have seen polls over the last couple of years that showed a 3 way race, with all three parties in the low 30s.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #327 on: December 04, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »

Anyone catch the debate on Chong's PMB? I'm with Funke.

Indeed. #teamfunke

Never heard of that site before, though- but since I'm FB friends with her, I saw it posted on my feed.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #328 on: December 04, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »

Wait, is Harper stepping down or something?

Kenney is seen as the frontrunner in any potential leadership, right?  I think someone like Trudeau would destroy him in popularity. I can think of a few better candidates who would make better leaders. His reputation may be tarnished a bit, but Peter McKay would be the best challenger to Trudeau's charisma.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #329 on: December 04, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »

Surely you troll? Kenney would destroy Trudeau in any substantive debate, as always happens in the House.

Didn't say Kenney would not beat Trudeau in a debate, as he probably would. He just doesn't have that 'je ne sais quoi' that Trudeau has. There's a reason he's leading in the polls, and it is very much to the chagrin of his opponents like you and I.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #330 on: December 04, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »

Wow. That would be very interesting indeed.

That article raises a good point, that Kenney is pro-life, and that might hurt him, at least in a general. Also, what about those rumours about his personal life.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »

Kenney knows how to handle social issues and wouldn't legislate. As for personal life... his socon appeal suggests that won't be an issue either.

Doesn't matter. It would be great attack ad fodder. The Liberals have done it before.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2013, 11:29:20 PM »

Liberal MLA Joachim Stroink is apologizing for posing with a guy wearing black face. Apparently it's a Dutch Christmas tradition. The local NDP youth is up in arms about it, which I would consider a positive because most of them aren't nearly as well balanced as Hatman or lilTommy.

It's offensive, but only due to it's association with minstrel shows, etc. The NDP in the riding are just playing the political game. But then again, you wouldn't see Peter Stoffer with Black Peter, and he's Dutch too.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #333 on: December 05, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »

Back to third in NB & NL again Sad
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #334 on: December 08, 2013, 01:41:54 PM »

I glad NB NDP wont gains because he against First Nations protesting!
Dominic must resigns or he will be loser.........

Source?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2013, 12:36:43 AM »

Rumour mill suggests my former boss Bruce Hyer will be joining the Greens on Friday. I think he'd have been better off staying as an Indy.

No surprise really. There are a lot of similarities between Hyer and Elizabeth May.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2013, 12:41:14 AM »

I glad NB NDP wont gains because he against First Nations protesting!
Dominic must resigns or he will be loser.........

Source?

Well, NB NDP position is than road blockades aren't acceptable in a society accepting the role of law, which is honestly the position taken by the very majority of the population (and is, in my region of Abitibi, is a big cause of racism, because White people are saying than a White doing that would go in jail very quickly and than so, First Nations are violating laws with consequences).

I wouldn't expect the NDP to have a different opinion, to be honest. Of course, I do sympathisze with their struggles, and blockades can at least be non violent (in theory).

It's strange though, because didn't the former chief of that reserve in NB just run for the NDP in the last by-election in Kent?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #337 on: December 10, 2013, 11:48:46 PM »

I'm against closing the thread FTR.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #338 on: December 11, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »

lol Trudeau.

I know, I know. Canadians don't care about QP...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #339 on: December 11, 2013, 12:19:37 AM »

How did Mulcair "win"? By remaining relevant? Trudeau is the year's winner. Remaining popular despite being hapless and unprepared.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #340 on: December 11, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »

Quebec government will create 4 supervised injection centers in Montreal. I suppose than Harper won't be happy, but given the previous court rulings, they can't do much about it.

The PQ may yet warm on me.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #341 on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »

Quebec government will create 4 supervised injection centers in Montreal. I suppose than Harper won't be happy, but given the previous court rulings, they can't do much about it.

The PQ may yet warm on me.

Every time I think that, they ramble more about the "values charter". Talking of that, I'm still undecided about my vote next election (most probably PQ or QS, through). I know than those are independantist parties, but I can't bring myself to vote for Liberals. Not yet. They need to spend more time in opposition, purge the former corruped establishment and renew their MNA team.

I know you've criticized QS in the past, but they are way better than the PQ. The values charter has made me lose any shred of sympathy I had for that party.

If I lived in Quebec, I'd vote UCQ where I could, and then either PVQ or QS. I've considered living in Hull in the past (cheaper rent), but could never bring myself to do so.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #342 on: December 12, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »

You have options too, and are probably not much more foul to you as our options are to us! (There's a Conservative party, there's CAQ, and there's the Liberals too. All parties on the centre-right)

Speaking of Quebec, a federal poll was done in each of Montreal's new ridings: http://www.mainstreettechnologies.ca/mainstreet/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Federal-Voting-Intention-in-Montreal.pdf

Liberals would win 13; BQ 3 and the NDP 2 Sad
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #343 on: December 12, 2013, 11:59:47 PM »

Oh. I didn't realize you were a "strategic voter".

The way I see it is, you will never cast the deciding vote, so you might as well vote your conscience. Plus, if you're political geography nerds like us, you can check out how your vote affected the results in your polling division Cheesy 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #344 on: December 13, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »

I think the Quebec Conservative Party would be a good fit for RB, but he may be unwilling to vote for a fringe party. Better to vote for a fringe party than no party in my opinion. That's why I support the UCQ in Quebec.

In other news, Bruce has indeed joined the dark side Sad  Only a matter of time, though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #345 on: December 13, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »

I think the Quebec Conservative Party would be a good fit for RB, but he may be unwilling to vote for a fringe party. Better to vote for a fringe party than no party in my opinion. That's why I support the UCQ in Quebec.

I agree, but I think the main issue is being able to vote for a fringe party. There's the conservatives and UCQ only ran like 20 candidates each last time. Even if you like them, you still have to choose who to support if you live in one of the other 100 ridings.

I'm the same way. I vote CHP when I get the opportunity, but I'm a Tory voter because that's how I'll vote most of the time.

True.

I have a pro-life friend who claims he'd vote NDP if they were anti-abortion (lol), but because they don't he'd vote CHP. Except, I don't think they've ever run in his district. Last election he spoiled his ballot.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #346 on: December 14, 2013, 12:08:48 AM »

Makes you wonder how credible Flaherty is.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #347 on: December 14, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »

Flaherty's ties to the Fords is hardly a secret. Isn't like Flaherty has any leadership designs either.

I know he has no leadership prospects, but the fact that he has ties with the Fords to begin with shows a lack of credibility.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #348 on: December 14, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »

I don't get cable, so I had no idea such a series existed. I'm checking it out online now.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #349 on: December 18, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »

When I worked in his office six years ago, Peter Julian was learning Mandarin. Wonder how much he did learn.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies