What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:45:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican?  (Read 17802 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« on: December 20, 2005, 02:24:46 AM »

I don't disagree with you on race, the situation in Connecticut is fine with me. But throwing around terms like "latte liberal" and "dysfunctional population" as if they actually meant something is not contributing anything to the debate. I've never had a latte in my life.

And you can stop trying to accuse the Northeast of being more segregated than the South. No one will ever buy it. Why do you defend the South by default yet only disparage the Northeast? So we have a superiority complex, there could be worse things.

Pym, I would not use the word segregated.  That term means that racial separation is imposed by government, so it does not apply.  The bastardization of that term by liberals to describe any situation without what they consider an optimal racial balance is typical of politically correct corruption of the language.

What we have nationwide is large-scale racial separation, imposed by millions of individual decisions.  That in its own way is worse than government-imposed segregation, because it's much harder to change.

Keep in mind, Pym, I am not criticizing the northeast for its racial situation.  I am a part of it, and I'm not clamoring to mix the minority-dominated cities with the white suburbs, considering the conditions that prevail in those cities.  People move to the suburbs to escape all that, and I am no exception.  What I do criticize is the tendency of people from the northeast to call others racist, when the situation here is not terribly different from the situation in, for example, the south.

As far as the northeast not being more "segregated" than the south, let me quote you a couple of statistics:

Percent of black students in schools with more than 90% minority:

South
1968 -- 77.5
1980 -- 24.6
1992 -- 26.5

Northeast
1968 -- 42.7
1980 -- 48.7
1992 -- 49.9

Percentage of white students in schools 90% white
South
1968 -- 68.8
1980 -- 32.2
1992 -- 26.0

Northeast
1968 -- 82.5
1980 -- 79.5
1992 -- 66.7

So by these measures, the northeast has a greater degree of racial separation than the south, at least in education.  That is largely because school districts in the south conform to county lines, while in the northeast they conform to municipal lines. 

Would you support creating regional schools in Connecticut whereby cities and suburbs were placed in the same district, and busing was used to achieve a consistent racial balance over the whole region?

As I said Pym, I am not criticizing the northeast for the degree of racial separation that exists here.  I think it is the natural and inevitable result of social conditions and a clash in cultures.  But perhaps with the numbers we have, we shouldn't be so quick to call southerners names.  And look up some numbers the next time you tell me that I can "stop trying to accuse the northeast of being more segregated than the south" because "nobody is going to buy it."  Numbers don't lie, my friend.  Your perception is a bit skewed, which comes as no surprise, but numbers don't lie.

Case in Point:

My hometown in NY.  83.5% White, 4.6% Black.  Great schools, etc.
Less than a quarter-mile from my house is a town: 59.6% Black, 24.4% White--cruddy schools, except for the one elementary school in the good part of town.

Not to mention the Bronx is right next door.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies