How bad was Scott Walker's answer regarding abortion during the Debate? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:06:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How bad was Scott Walker's answer regarding abortion during the Debate? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How bad was Scott Walker's answer regarding abortion during the Debate?  (Read 3996 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 07, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »

I'm sure lifenews is a very unbiased source

As opposed to the HuffPost?

I am a pro-life union man, so Scott Walker's comments caused me to think positively about him for a short period of time.  Not enough to vote for him, but enough to give him props for being morally consistent with the premise that life begins at conception.

I noted, by the way, that Megyn Kelly (I think) mentioned that Walker's position might hurt him amongst women because of the lack of a rape/incest exception.  Such a comment by a FOX News "commentator" signals a sea change in what the GOP views as pro-life.  Soon, the GOP's "pro-life" stance will be limited to opposing only "partial birth abortion" and "publicly funded abortion".  Just wait and see; they're getting ready to jettison the pro-life movement.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:12:07 PM »

I seriously like Walker and I don't exactly consider myself quite the pro-choice guy, but Walker's answer was ridiculous. No matter how you spin it, opposing abortion to save a woman's life is not "a position that's in line with everyday America" at all.

Well said. Any canidate who stands for personhood is committing political suicide. Just look at what happened to Ken Buck in Colorado.

Abortion is a powerful moral issue ONLY if the issue is the HUMANITY of the unborn child.

If that's NOT the issue, then being "anti-abortion" isn't being "pro-life"; it's being "pro-into other people's business".  It's only the issue of the humanity of the unborn child that renders the issue a moral one.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 10:47:22 PM »

I seriously like Walker and I don't exactly consider myself quite the pro-choice guy, but Walker's answer was ridiculous. No matter how you spin it, opposing abortion to save a woman's life is not "a position that's in line with everyday America" at all.

Well said. Any canidate who stands for personhood is committing political suicide. Just look at what happened to Ken Buck in Colorado.

Abortion is a powerful moral issue ONLY if the issue is the HUMANITY of the unborn child.

If that's NOT the issue, then being "anti-abortion" isn't being "pro-life"; it's being "pro-into other people's business".  It's only the issue of the humanity of the unborn child that renders the issue a moral one.
Even if you consider the unborn child a person, I think it would be really strange to say that one should prioritize this unborn child's life over the mother's life - which is exactly what opposing abortion to save a mother's life means.

In my opinion, in this kind of tragic situation, the mother's life is the most important and should be saved first, even if an abortion is needed.

I agree with that, but those situations are extremely rare.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 09:54:31 AM »

What would happen if feminists in Wisconsin attempted to recall Walker for these comments in the middle of the Presidential campaign?  I will say that if you read the comment, it could be construed in such a manner as to suggest that he's let a woman die if, in fact, aborting the pregnancy was necessary to keep the woman alive in the very present moment.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »

What would happen if feminists in Wisconsin attempted to recall Walker for these comments in the middle of the Presidential campaign?  I will say that if you read the comment, it could be construed in such a manner as to suggest that he's let a woman die if, in fact, aborting the pregnancy was necessary to keep the woman alive in the very present moment.

Anyone trying to recall Walker for short of a criminal indictment would be a total game changer for the trends of his popularity in Wisconsin and his presidential campaign. Like, I'd almost wonder if Walker paid them to try it!

I do think Walker needs to get himself elected President or Vice President.  I really believe he'll never carry Wisconsin again.

It's weird for me.  I really dislike Walker, as I am a union shop steward (and a registered Republican).  I don't think he really believes what he said, but what he said does at least reflect the idea that a fetus is a human life, regardless of the technicalities and legalities.  There's a disconnect between that sentiment and the vibe I get from Walker that he is really not interested in people and is only interested in his own career.  I sense no real compassion toward other human beings from Scott Walker that I would sense from, say, Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ) or Sen. Robert Casey (D-PA); so I view his statement as some sort of political calculation.

Having made this statement, if Walker wants to win the nomination, he now has to go full-bore to win the religious conservatives.  They'll be his most solid allies,, and he's made the boldest statement on abortion yet, and lots of folks still put that at the top of their issue list.  Walker is in the place where he has a new pathway to the nomination, but it will probably require a significant shift in strategy.  He'll be a pretty flexible politician if he pulls this off.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies