The Politics of Strip Clubs: Are Lap Dances Free Speech? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:46:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The Politics of Strip Clubs: Are Lap Dances Free Speech? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that lap dances qualify as protected free speech?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: The Politics of Strip Clubs: Are Lap Dances Free Speech?  (Read 6185 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: July 03, 2007, 10:12:05 PM »

At the very least, not in the context of strip clubs - within strip clubs lap dances are simply services that men pay the employees to perform. That's not to say I agree with laws prohibiting lap dances, but frankly I don't see them as speech.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 09:38:51 PM »

I believe that most people "find" the "right to privacy" in the 14th Amendment, as in the Roe vs Wade decision. I could possibly see using the 9th Amendment to support lap dances, easier than the 14th.

Don't you mean the 4th Amendment? The 14th doesn't seem to have much to do with privacy.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:55:51 PM »

I believe that most people "find" the "right to privacy" in the 14th Amendment, as in the Roe vs Wade decision. I could possibly see using the 9th Amendment to support lap dances, easier than the 14th.

Don't you mean the 4th Amendment? The 14th doesn't seem to have much to do with privacy.
From the Roe V Wade decision
"MR. JUSTICE BLACKMUN delivered the opinion of the Court.
MR. JUSTICE REHNQUIST, dissenting.
MR. JUSTICE STEWART, concurring.....
3. State criminal abortion laws, like those involved here, that except from criminality only a life-saving procedure on the mother's behalf without regard to the stage of her pregnancy and other interests involved violate the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, which protects against state action the right to privacy,"

Ah, I see where your misinterpretation lies. The fourth amendment is what many suppose actually grants the right to privacy. However, the bill of rights (first ten amendments) didn't apply to the individual states before the fourteenth amendment. The fourteenth doesn't really grant any new rights, only extends existing ones in the federal constitution to the states.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies