2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 03:31:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 27088 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: July 09, 2020, 03:42:15 PM »

I don't think there's going to be any college football this fall.

Michigan will not lose to washington this year!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »

UConn cancels:

I thought UConn cancelled their football program?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »

hmm

Athletic Directors should consider firing coaches who insist on playing games now (or in the Spring. It probably won't be safe to play then either. The earliest I can see football coming back at any level is next fall)

Think about that though. Firing Ryan Day without cause (and this would absolutely be without cause) would mean paying a 3.5 million dollar buyout in a year that the athletics department will be losing a massive amount of revenue. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the revenue effects will be great enough that I doubt we'll see many (if any) non-cause firings for the next few years.

You could argue that encouraging the endangerment of student athletes health would be grounds for a for cause firing.

And you could argue that you’re using excessive hyperbole due to slightly exaggerated COVID hysteria you’re experiencing.

And, as players like Trevor Lawrence have noted, a whole lot more precautions are being taken for these players than would be taken if there were no season.  Their risk of getting coronavirus would probably go up, not down, if they don't play because they probably won't be nearly as isolated if they aren't playing.

Former Michigan All-American Defensive Tackle Chris Hutchinson is the father of All-Big Ten Defensive End Aiden Hutchinson he also holds an MD from the University of Michigan, he is supportive of football being played in the fall. Jim Harbaugh the head coach at the University of Michigan is supportive of College Football in the fall, Ryan Day the head coach of Ohio State University is supportive of football in the fall. James Franklin the head coach at Penn State is also supportive of the season. Harbaugh, Day, and Franklin are probably the most important coaches north of the Mason Dixon line and they lead the 3 most important schools in the Big Ten. ER this isn't really directed at you, sorry for the quote. It's mainly adding onto the conversation and the idiocy of NYE.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 05:01:47 PM »

And UNC throws in the towel for in-person classes this semester.  I can't believe they'll be playing football under these circumstances.

Why?  If anything, it is safer to play football now.

I think it will be very hard for a university to justify bringing their football team together for practices and games at a time when they don't consider it safe for students to be in class together. 

Like, it seems that these are actually quite safe. UofM, for example, has not had a positive test for the last 2 weeks.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »

#11 Miami @ NC State
#9 BYU @ #21 Boise State

#23 Michigan @ #13 Indiana
Arizona State @ #20 Southern Cal
West Virginia @ #22 Texas
#25 Liberty @ Virginia Tech
Nebraska @ Northwestern