BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:51:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT  (Read 14438 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: December 10, 2010, 03:02:43 AM »

Republicans will not allow any bills to come to the Senate floor in the lame duck session until the Senate passes a tax bill and continuing resolution to fund the government.

That I disagree with.  It's not like we need more debate to fix the tax bill... the GOP and Dem heads just need to sit down and hammer out an agreement.  Unless they plan on being on the floor debating the bill, let's move on to other issues.  That's the entire reason there's a dual track for legislation.

I gotta say... I disagree with the GOP on this one.  Although, their other reasons (amendments and time) I see as valid.

House Democrats voted to oppose the tax bill today.   (Or since "hostage taking" seems to be the over-the-top political rhetoric of the day, should we call that holding tax cuts for the poor hostage to engage in class warfare?)  It is not a done deal.  No done deal.  No votes on anything else - that's the Republican position.  The side benefit of that is that some liberal agenda items that won't see the light of day in a divided Congress won't get passed if there is no time.  The clock is ticking.

It's a win-win for Republicans.  Not so much for Democrats, who have been used to getting their own way for the past 2 years.

It must be kept in mind that getting rid of DADT will be beneficial to the Republicans in the future. Republicans sure wouldn't be wanting to take this vote a few months before the 2012 election, and Harry Reid can make sure of it that they do.

You have a point about the DREAM act. But that wasn't going to pass the Senate anyways, since I doubt more than 53-55 Dem Senators support it. What other Dem agenda is being blocked?

The tax cuts for the wealthy could cut either way in 2012, depending on how the economy is and how large the deficit is. If the economy is doing well in 2012, but the deficit is still large, Obama can make the case that the rich need to pay more in taxes. Most Americans agree with that already, don't see why that wouldn't be the case 2 years from now especially with better economic conditions. But if the deficit commission's recommendations are implemented, this issue is moot.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:45:24 AM »

Well States the blacks could just paint themselves white so that they could be "normal" like you want them.   After all, that's essentially what you're asking gay and lesbian men and women to do.

For the five hundredth time, homosexuality is a BEHAVIOR it's not the same as race.

If you think homosexuality is a choice, you shouldn't be calling anyone an idiot.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:55:32 AM »

True, heterosexual sex isn't a behavior either. Guess your post dodges mean I'm right again.

Who the hell is taking about sex??

I find it rather interesting that the religious right who  are opposed to the repeal of DADT are always obsessed about the sexual aspect of homosexuality.  

Of course they are. They can't imagine that a gay person could be a normal human being who acts professionally and keeps their private and professional lives separate. No, to them every gay person is a promiscuous "fabulous" flamer. Roll Eyes
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:05:41 AM »

Smash, much of the objection there was that that DoD's report had yet to come out.  Now that it's out, I think we'll see more Republicans vote for it.

I think you're being a bit naive here.....

Anyways we'll see how this plays out. Especially now that the military is totally behind it. If the Republicans vote against DADT repeal even when it's the only issue in the bill, then you will see their true colors. Or not. Maybe you will just try to find some other excuse why they voted against it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies