What Made You Change Politically? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 11:08:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What Made You Change Politically? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Made You Change Politically?  (Read 13519 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: September 20, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »

I've told this story before and won't bore folks with the long version again.  My most recent change has been to general political disillusionment.  Basically, I'm not sure anymore if any one person's or group's stated political ideals can, in practice and in the long run, overcome natural and pervasive human shortsightedness, self-centeredness and conflict.  Ever-increasing conflict and polarization both within the U.S. and throughout the world, added to increasing intractability in the institutions I've worked in and the inability of people to communicate well with one another have brought this disillusionment on.  In saying this, I'm not just indicting unnamed others for their failings, but am indicting my own failures to understand, communicate and act effectively as well.  In the end, people really aren't what they consciously take themselves to believe, or what they say in any case.  People are what they do.  And it's human practices, especially in our relations with one another, that give the lie to our supposed ideals. 
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »

Vile behavior by Congressional Republicans in 2009 pushed me to the left out of empathy for our President.

It seems to me that Pubs get around to accusing every Dem president of being treasonous.  But Obama's case does strike me as disturbingly different.  I was originally an Obama supporter, of course, but don't like a number of things that have happened under his watch or some of the policies he has intentionally pursued or not pursued.  But it's still hard for me not to personally empathize with him a lot.  The forms of political and popular resistance to him have often been quite ugly.  If Obama had been a center-right GOP member, or even, I can't help but think, a center-left president as white as Clinton, I think the general estimation of his presidency in the country right now would be quite different.  Had only these three things, the Dow rising several thousand points, unemployment dropping as much as it has, and the country's #1 enemy being eliminated, happened in the first five years of any center-right or center-left white president, almost everything else would be explained away with a shrug, his job approval would be in the mid 60's and his party members would be carving granite memorials to him already.  As it is, Dems are running away from him in the midterms and Pubs vilify him.  For me, it's not pleasant to watch.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies