Constitutional Amendment on Voter Registration and Voting Rules (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:08:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Constitutional Amendment on Voter Registration and Voting Rules (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Constitutional Amendment on Voter Registration and Voting Rules  (Read 4474 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:32:17 AM »

Senator Jas responded and it is for him to state his position regarding my Amendment in this debate

This was the said response:
Indeed, that particular clause of the Constitution is not perfect.

The point of the provision, as I understand it, is that the voter roll should try to reasonably reflect the voting public and that those who patently aren't participating in the elections may be removed from the register - making it easier to handle and manage and to bettre reflect the active make up of Atlasia.

Believing that this aim is valid and still worth pursuing and also that the requirements are too strict, I would suggest that instead of outrightly abolishing the pertinant provision it may be preferable to amend it by increasing the time limits applicable before removal and applying this to all voters (first time registered or otherwise).

I'd also like to submit the incoming SoFA's opinion from his confirmation thread:
I support keeping the constitution as it currently is as far as Clause 6 of Section 2. Clearing deadwood of the voter rolls is important for gaining a true sense of Atlasia's population. Also, I do not see any infringement on rights with the law as it currently stands, because if one wishes to become active again, all he needs to do is register; it's not as if by being taken off the voter rolls, one cannot re-register for x amount of months.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:35:53 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2006, 08:41:03 AM by Jas »

I would submit the following amendment for consideration:

That Article V, Section 2, Clause 6 of the Constitution be amended to read as follows:

Any registered voter who fails to vote in elections for eight months for which he is qualified to vote shall have his registration no longer considered valid. This clause shall not be construed to deny a forum user the right to register anew.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 08:44:02 AM »

I was going to introduce an amendment but Jas introduced what I was going to anyway.  The only problem I have with Jas amendment is the timeframe involved.  Eight months seems like a long time.

I hesitated over the length of time, wavering between 6 and 8 months. Though, personally I would prefer six, I plumped for eight though largely because I feel it has a better chance of passing the Senate.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 07:04:26 AM »

The only recommendation that I would have for Senator Jas would be to put the timeframe into elections or electoral cycles, non-inclusive of special elections. Eight months would be four elections. This would close a loophole in the system and would make it much more clear cut. This could be construed as meaning that it's 8 months from any federal election, even a special election or a runoff, until the person is stricken form the rolls then four complete federal general elections.

I'll certainly consider it, but I'm a little tired (middle of exams) so forgive me if I misunderstand, but could you clarify would this suggestion therefore disregard any votes in a special or run-off election, for the purposes of voter registration?
If so, why shouldn't such votes be counted for this purpose?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »

The only recommendation that I would have for Senator Jas would be to put the timeframe into elections or electoral cycles, non-inclusive of special elections. Eight months would be four elections. This would close a loophole in the system and would make it much more clear cut. This could be construed as meaning that it's 8 months from any federal election, even a special election or a runoff, until the person is stricken form the rolls then four complete federal general elections.

I'll certainly consider it, but I'm a little tired (middle of exams) so forgive me if I misunderstand, but could you clarify would this suggestion therefore disregard any votes in a special or run-off election, for the purposes of voter registration?

They should be counted by registered voters should only be taken off the roles after missing 4 national elections. So while it can count for you to vote in a special election or a runoff it cannot count against you not to. I hope you understand.

OK, I get it now. If you put forward an amendment worded accordingly, I'll withdraw my own.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:10:44 AM »

Given Colin's submission, I withdraw my amendment from consideration.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 02:57:56 PM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 02:02:35 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: