So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:26:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax...  (Read 9584 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »

It's not surprising that there are vast segments of the British population eagerly awaiting this horrible woman's death.

Oh don't be ridiculous.

You clearly know loads about the UK. It's true that a large portion of the country hold nothing but resentment for her because of the damage she did to swathes of the UK.

"We're havin' a party when Thatcher dies" is a common football chant, for example.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »

"We're havin' a party when Thatcher dies" is a common football chant, for example.

Civilized country.

Indeed.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »

No one is calling for her to be shot; no one (well, except the Provos) wanted that in the 1980s either. It's just that a lot of people will be satisfied at her passing. I suppose that might come across as a little ugly (and if I'm being honest it sort of is) but you have to understand that it is a reaction to something that was also rather ugly.

She defined large sections of British society as enemies - personal enemies - and shaped policies accordingly. If you do that, then you don't get to expect those same people to show even a basic level of respect. The political is personal sometimes...

Have you thought about what you're going to post on this forum when the day finally comes?

Personally, I'd end up banned for the sheer glee I'd display.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »

Is this the mirror image of the Chavez thread?  It's ok to be "satisfied" with the death of a politician if you disagree with them....except when it's not.

It is not a question of 'disagreement'. To repeat, Thatcher defined large sections of British society as her personal enemies and shaped government policy accordingly. Worse, she didn't even bother to disguise that fact. This is not something that normally happens in democracies. Normal rules of behavior don't exactly apply. Again, I don't deny that it's ugly, but British politics in the 1980s was ugly, and its legacy is ugly. There's no point in pretending otherwise; it never comes across as anything other than false.

Feel free to feel as disgusted as you feel, just don't pretend that this is a 'normal' situation.

But it didn't really effect you or I did it? I can respect, even if I don't agree with the routine vilification or hero worship of Thatcher amongst those who lived and worked and raised families at that time. My late papa hated Thatcher but curiously hated Ramsay Macdonald even more and that used to fall on deaf ears. I don't think we can invest any emotional interest in that era because we were just children, for much the same reason as my mum didn't give two hoots about Macdonald. What I find sinister is that people even younger than I am learn to hate her or like her and roll off 'things wot she dun' as if it had anything to do with them.

Events in the previous generation have no effect on anything that happens to that generation's offspring, clearly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies