So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:51:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax...  (Read 9584 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:20:53 PM »

It's not surprising that there are vast segments of the British population eagerly awaiting this horrible woman's death.

Oh don't be ridiculous.

He's not being even slightly ridiculous; large segments of the British population do indeed eagerly await the death of this horrible woman.

Ah, the enlightened, civilized Brits.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:25:46 PM »

So in return all those people that hate Obama and want him to die (Note: I'm not one of them, but I'm sure someone will still think so) are perfectly justified in that respect? My guess is they'd be viewed as horrible people while these people are within their rights.
IMO, any grown person who wishes death a politician operating within a civilised democratic system is an inherently cruel and vile person, it doesn't matter if it's Maggie Thatcher or Obama or Olof Palm or anyone.
It's only acceptable to hate politicians in totalitarian regimes, in my view.

That position seems to be blasphemy in this thread.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »

It's not surprising that there are vast segments of the British population eagerly awaiting this horrible woman's death.

Oh don't be ridiculous.

Most of Scotland and the North of England proper hates her.

So it's ok to wish for her death?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 12:54:53 PM by Locked and Loaded Gramps »

No one is calling for her to be shot; no one (well, except the Provos) wanted that in the 1980s either. It's just that a lot of people will be satisfied at her passing. I suppose that might come across as a little ugly (and if I'm being honest it sort of is) but you have to understand that it is a reaction to something that was also rather ugly.

She defined large sections of British society as enemies - personal enemies - and shaped policies accordingly. If you do that, then you don't get to expect those same people to show even a basic level of respect. The political is personal sometimes...

Ok fair enough, but those who consider her vile and horrible (and I'm not saying you, personally) are vile and horrible for wishing for her death.  Rant over.

I certainly do understand not shedding a tear or feeling sad at all.....but that's something entirely different.

JMO
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »

Oh don't be ridiculous.

Most of Scotland and the North of England proper hates her.

So it's ok to wish for her death?

Did I say that? No, I didn't. I was just explaining that yes, there are parts of the UK that despise Thatcher, since they perceive that she demolished their economies.

No, you didn't.  I was looking for your agreement.  And I have it.  Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »

I guess there's a sense of mourning now that she's been released from the hospital?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies