How were some blacks able to vote in Jim Crow South? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:53:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How were some blacks able to vote in Jim Crow South? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How were some blacks able to vote in Jim Crow South?  (Read 930 times)
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« on: April 02, 2022, 04:47:09 PM »

IIRC these numbers were basically zero in the Deep South prior to the 1940s. After WW2 I believe there were some smaller-scale, local efforts at black voter registration.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 07:26:37 PM »

There was a town in Mississippi that was 100% black and held elections.  They elected Republican mayors into the 1980s.
I once read about a small black town in Mississippi in an otherwise white county, and the county government allowed the blacks there to vote. However, they would then publish the results precinct by precinct in the local paper. No candidate wanted to be on the record as winning the vote there, and whoever did would spend the time between the first round and the run-off race baiting even beyond normal Mississippi Jim Crow levels to try and escape the stain of being a "n----r lover". I wonder if we're thinking of the same town.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies