rant on what frustrates me with the democratic party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:21:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  rant on what frustrates me with the democratic party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: rant on what frustrates me with the democratic party  (Read 3396 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:01:45 AM »

another thing that bothers me is the inability to win the white vote. Its been what? 45 years since the democrats won the white vote in a national election? This is getting kind of embarrassing. Hopefully this streak doesn't go on for much longer.

It's because your party can only get votes these days by dividing people into minority "victim" groups (latinos, blacks, gays, etc) and telling the that Republicans are out to get them and they need the Dems to cover their back.

Time to turn off Glenn Beck. If you wanna talk about parties being "owned," your party can't seem to get votes without kissing the teabaggers' nasty, greasy, hemorrhoid-ridden @$$e$. You all are too afraid to stand up to them and tell them to stop with their ridiculous conspiracy theories like Obama is a Muslim/not born in the United States, etc. For your party, it seems like if you dare cross the Tea Party, you might as well expect a crosshair on your district or to be teabagged in a primary.

Although you are correct. Republicans are out to get blacks (ever hear of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965), Latinos (Arizona Senate Bill, deportation, anyone?), and don't even get me started on the gays. Why would any gay person in his/her right mind vote for a party that doesn't want to give you any rights and labels you a pervert/sinner/immoral, compares you to pedophiles and says how you choose to be this way and could change if you prayed to be cured? Sure, there are some gay Republicans who say "We aren't single-issue voters." I can see that point. Even if the Republican Party were pro-gay, I still wouldn't vote Republican because I'm not a single-issue voter, either. But even the mainstream Republican Party doesn't want to have anything to do with the Log Cabin Republicans. I just don't understand it, but it wouldn't be the first time Republicans brainwash people to vote against their own self-interests.

Can't speak for all the many minorities that comprise the Democratic Party, but as for gays, it's not about victimization. If you haven't heard, most LGBT people are highly educated and affluent (characteristics that tend to favor Democrats), and smart people don't listen to Fox News or buy into the right-wing lies of how it will be Republicans who give gays their rights. The only right Republicans want to give us is no rights at all with all of their homophobic rhetoric and exploitation and lies about the community to pander to and gain votes among the hillbillies and Bible-thumping rednecks that constitute their base. NOT ALL Republicans are like this, I realize, but it does seem to be the status quo of today's Republican/Tea Party.

And I'm sure that most of these GOP politicians are not as homophobic/anti-gay in their personal lives; it's just politically popular for them to beat up on the gays to get votes. I'm sure many of them have gay friends that they keep on the downlow Smiley

Not taking anything away from what you said (and don't take this as an endorsement of the Democratic Party or anything) but using the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 as the Republicans out to get the blacks is not really a good example:

Civil Rights Act of 1964:
Original House Version:

Democratic: 152-96 (61%-39%)
Republican: 138-34 (80%-20%)
Cloture in the Senate:
Democratic: 44-23 (66%-34%)
Republican: 27-6 (82%-18%)
Senate Version:
Democratic: 46-21 (69%-31%)
Republican: 27-6 (82%-18%)
Senate Version, voted on by the House:
Democratic: 153-91 (63%-37%)
Republican: 136-35 (80%-20%)

Voting Rights Act of 1965:
Vote Count:
Senate:

Democratic: 47-17 (73%-27%)
Republican: 30-2 (94%-6%)
House:
Democratic: 221-61 (78%-22%)
Republicans: 112-24 (82%-18%)

Conference Report:
Senate:

Democratic: 49-17
Republican: 30-1
House:
Democratic: 217-54
Republicans: 112-20

Using two landmark Civil Rights Acts that over 80% of the Republican Party voted for isn't a really good example of how the Republicans are out to get blacks.  If you are going to attack the Republican Party on how they approach the black vote it's a good idea not to bring up legislation that is almost fifty years old that a higher percentage of their party voted for than the Democratic Party did.  Unless your point was that Republicans now days would consider repealing such acts............
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies