rant on what frustrates me with the democratic party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:59:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  rant on what frustrates me with the democratic party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: rant on what frustrates me with the democratic party  (Read 3394 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 12, 2011, 07:11:07 PM »

There are three things about the white vote you need to keep in mind.

The first is that it's not a homogenous bloc: in 2008 outside of the Old Confederacy, the white vote was nearly tied (I think McCain won it by a point or so), but racialized voting patterns in the South push up the % for the whole country, while putting those states out of reach electorally. Let me put it this way: if Obama had done as well among whites in Mississippi and Alabama as he did among whites in Oklahoma (his worst state overall) he would have won both states.

The second is that with the ongoing demographic change, you won't need the white vote to win. Obama never needed to win the white vote: he just had to not get blown out, and he succeeded in doing that pretty well.

The third is that younger whites are more liberal than older ones, though paradoxically older whites seem to get more Republican as they age. No telling how this is going to play out in the years ahead.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »

What bothers me about the Democratic Party is how they don't stand strong for their views and philosophies. Take health care for example. It is a core philosophy of the Democratic Party that every single American have access to health care since we view it as a right and not a privilege. The only way this is going to happen is if we have a single-payer system, and in the disastrous health care reform bill law that was one of the many reasons why we lost control of the House, Democrats did not stand strong for the public option.

Tell me about it. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies