Sanders on breaking up banks: "I haven't personally studied that." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:15:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders on breaking up banks: "I haven't personally studied that." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders on breaking up banks: "I haven't personally studied that."  (Read 1736 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 05, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »

I'm no financial industry expert, but wouldn't reinstating Glass-Steagall essentially "break up" the big banks? If so, it's strange that he took the position in favor of reinstating it having not "personally studied" breaking up big banks.
No, not really.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:49:57 PM »

It's not over-reacting at all. How can anyone honestly read that interview and think Bernie Sanders is even qualified to be a Senator, much less a President. Breaking up the big banks is the centerpiece of his campaign, and yet he's apparently given zero consideration to how he will do it, the consequences of doing so, the current law, etc. zero consideration?? How is that acceptable? He doesn't even seem to be aware that MetLife and AIG are currently being broken up.

On trade, another centerpiece of his campaign, he's totally unable to articulate what specifics of trade agreements are bad and that he would change. He just says they're bad and he'd rewrite them. How is that acceptable? Opposition to these FTAs is like 1/3 of all this guy talks about and he is totally stumped when asked for specifics on how he'd revise them?? Come on.

I totally understand liking Bernie Sanders. I totally understand thinking he's an important progressive voice in our political system. But how can anyone read this interview and think he's prepared to be the President of the United States?
It's sort of sad that Hillary Clinton probably has a better grasp of Sanders' main policy proposals than he does.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies