Sanders on breaking up banks: "I haven't personally studied that."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 04:10:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders on breaking up banks: "I haven't personally studied that."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sanders on breaking up banks: "I haven't personally studied that."  (Read 1746 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 01:49:57 PM »

It's not over-reacting at all. How can anyone honestly read that interview and think Bernie Sanders is even qualified to be a Senator, much less a President. Breaking up the big banks is the centerpiece of his campaign, and yet he's apparently given zero consideration to how he will do it, the consequences of doing so, the current law, etc. zero consideration?? How is that acceptable? He doesn't even seem to be aware that MetLife and AIG are currently being broken up.

On trade, another centerpiece of his campaign, he's totally unable to articulate what specifics of trade agreements are bad and that he would change. He just says they're bad and he'd rewrite them. How is that acceptable? Opposition to these FTAs is like 1/3 of all this guy talks about and he is totally stumped when asked for specifics on how he'd revise them?? Come on.

I totally understand liking Bernie Sanders. I totally understand thinking he's an important progressive voice in our political system. But how can anyone read this interview and think he's prepared to be the President of the United States?
It's sort of sad that Hillary Clinton probably has a better grasp of Sanders' main policy proposals than he does.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »

It's not over-reacting at all. How can anyone honestly read that interview and think Bernie Sanders is even qualified to be a Senator, much less a President. Breaking up the big banks is the centerpiece of his campaign, and yet he's apparently given zero consideration to how he will do it, the consequences of doing so, the current law, etc.?? How is that acceptable? He doesn't even seem to be aware that MetLife and AIG are currently being broken up.

On trade, another centerpiece of his campaign, he's totally unable to articulate what specifics of trade agreements are bad and that he would change. He just says they're bad and he'd rewrite them. How is that acceptable? Opposition to these FTAs is like 1/3 of all this guy talks about and he is totally stumped when asked for specifics on how he'd revise them?? Come on.

I totally understand liking Bernie Sanders. I totally understand thinking he's an important progressive voice in our political system. But how can anyone read this interview and think he's prepared to be the President of the United States?

When it comes to your bolded question, one can have asked the same question with almost all of the candidates in the race this year. It's been that bad. Just awful. Clown after clown after clown, or in some cases, folks who clearly don't have "the necessaries," like Walker or Carson and on and on, and then the shrill dyspeptic extremist head case Cruz.

All things considered, when it comes to basic competence, we have or had Pataki, maybe fat boy Christie, Kasich, Graham and yeah with a bit of a leap of faith, perhaps Rubio, and yes, the liar Hillary. I think that is about it.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 02:39:41 PM »

Ugh that was painful! The concept of breaking up banks is actually pretty straightforward - you need to divorce investment banking from taxpayer exposure and the Fed system and make all investments done for clients in commercial banking a fiduciary relationship. The regulatory vehicles could be varied, but that's the thrust. It's a simple answer I'm surprised he couldn't provide.

The division of assets and liabilities - which he came close to touching upon but whiffed on in the end - is actually quite complex, because it's something that current contracts and operations don't necessarily anticipate.

If he thinks it absolutely needs to be done for the health of the economy, I can respect that - but he needs to fully understand the implications of what he's saying, and it doesn't appear that he does.

The endless harping on Glass-Steagall - which again, did not regulate the shadow financial system - is another problem. Shibboleths and slogans don't solve real, complex problems - especially problems that have nothing to do with their proposed solution/cause.

Quite agree, I was certainly simplifying things for the sake of argument. You can't roll a white paper into an interview, but the concept of what the broad strokes of a post-breakup financial system should look like need to be articulated better if its your main proposal.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 02:57:13 PM »

Glass-Stegall isn't enough because it doesn't add enough transparency and force sufficient capital requirements for over the counter financial instruments.

It'd be nice if we could have a President with Hillary's brain and grasp of economic issues and Sanders' values and lack of corruptibility.  That's why I wanted Warren to run. Sad
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »

Neel Kashkari says we should consider breaking up the big banks, but he's not sure exactly what the best way to do that is, either.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 04:12:07 PM »

Neel Kashkari says we should consider breaking up the big banks, but he's not sure exactly what the best way to do that is, either.

We'll remember that when he runs for President, flack.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »

What does Kashkari know about banking? He only oversaw the TARP bailout and is a Federal Reserve President.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »

What does Kashkari know about banking? He only oversaw the TARP bailout and is a Federal Reserve President.

Neal isn't promising to do it.  I think it'd be nice to go to Mars but I don't have a plan for it.  If someone ran for president promising to take us to Mars and made it the core of his campaign, I'd expect him to have a detailed plan or at least understand the basic challenges and laws of space travel.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »

This is the top story on CNN now and Bernie is drawing huge criticism.  No comment or defense from team Sanders.  How humiliating.  Good thing for them it'll all be drowned out by "Clinton is dead???" stories after he wins Wisconsin tonight.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 06:23:51 PM »

Haha, why the hell is jfern whatabouting this onto some guy who ran for governor of California and lost?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 07:31:22 PM »

The entire NYDN interview is a train wreck. He's like a slightly more eloquent Trump.

Yep.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 09:59:08 PM »

Glass-Stegall isn't enough because it doesn't add enough transparency and force sufficient capital requirements for over the counter financial instruments.

It'd be nice if we could have a President with Hillary's brain and grasp of economic issues and Sanders' values and lack of corruptibility.  That's why I wanted Warren to run. Sad
Sorry to burst the bubble on this... but Warren is NOT that person.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »

Bernie is a classic politician that has no idea what he is talking about. The same for Warren. Stein and Kucinich are far better. At least Paul understood Austrian economics to a point where he could explain why the fed causes damage and should be audited. Holy sht sanders is a fraud

lol @ Jill Stein.

Sorry to burst the bubble on this... but Warren is NOT that person.

Weird fact about Elizabeth Warren:  Her maiden name is Elizabeth Herring and her husband's name is Bruce Mann.  Where's the Warren come from?  It's the family name of her high school boyfriend, whom she divorced in 1978.  #trueloveneverdies

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 11:17:59 PM »

The interview was a little disheartening, but the spin seems to be there. It seems that the Daily News was a bit biased in their reporting of the interview.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies