Many pro-palestinian protesters are wearing MASKS on campus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:08:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Many pro-palestinian protesters are wearing MASKS on campus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Many pro-palestinian protesters are wearing MASKS on campus  (Read 709 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2024, 11:49:45 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/30/why-are-pro-palestinian-students-wearing-masks-campus

As demonstrations over the war in Gaza have surged on campuses, around cities and in offices across the US in recent weeks, a visible tension has emerged between the desire for public protest and a fear of professional reprisals.

On the Columbia University campus, where the latest spike in protests began on 17 April, demonstrators have worn masks and used blankets to block counter-protesters from filming students. Protesters at a tent encampment at the University of Michigan handed out masks upon entry, and students there refused to give reporters their full names in case the school took punitive action against them. At Harvard, the Palestine Solidarity Committee told the Guardian it had suspended doing press interviews out of regard for student safety.

MASKS should be illegal!!!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 11:50:45 AM »

This is a Jimmie threaf
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 12:08:16 PM »

Remember that there is more than one reason for someone to wear a mask - in this case, the main reason appears to be that these individuals do not wish to have their faces easily recognizable on camera (and back in November/December 2022, many people around the world who protested against China's covid policies also wore masks to shield their faces from identification).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 01:16:08 PM »

I've never been more tempted to go full BRTD and post that "who the hell cares?" clip from Family Guy, a show I don't even like.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 01:21:58 PM »

Never change, Jimmie.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 01:28:57 PM »

Remember that there is more than one reason for someone to wear a mask - in this case, the main reason appears to be that these individuals do not wish to have their faces easily recognizable on camera (and back in November/December 2022, many people around the world who protested against China's covid policies also wore masks to shield their faces from identification).

The fact that at least at UCLA, the protest camp is specifically requiring N-95s when there are specialized masks made specifically to confuse facial recognition software* and they're apparently not requiring sunglasses, strongly suggests that this is about COVID neuroticism much more than counter-surveillance.

*You may point out that students are unlikely to have these, and you would be correct, but these are relatively easy to make on your own
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 01:37:14 PM »

N-95s are the worst. They look way more dystopian than a stylish scarf.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 02:16:55 PM »

jimmie threaf
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 03:09:29 PM »

The thing that's odd to me is that these people really think they're doing the right thing at these protests, why wear a mask and try and conceal your identity?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 03:55:06 PM »

The thing that's odd to me is that these people really think they're doing the right thing at these protests, why wear a mask and try and conceal your identity?

Because some media or Zionist organizations with money and lawyers will smear you and your good name as anti-semitic just for being there protesting.

That is definitely true to an extent, but mandating N-95s specifically is a different matter. Medical masks make people look weak, and you should want to project strength
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 04:05:51 PM »

you guys need to get together beforehand to get your excuses straight
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 05:19:10 PM »

You gotta realize how much of all of this is Gen Z having their brains fundamentally broken by Covid lockdowns.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 05:21:56 PM »

You gotta realize how much of all of this is Gen Z having their brains fundamentally broken by Covid lockdowns.

No, this is about concealing their identity.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 05:34:57 PM »

Idk man when you have people like this group of incompetent imbeciles putting out stuff like this, it makes some sense does it not?

Covered above:

The fact that at least at UCLA, the protest camp is specifically requiring N-95s when there are specialized masks made specifically to confuse facial recognition software* and they're apparently not requiring sunglasses, strongly suggests that this is about COVID neuroticism much more than counter-surveillance.

*You may point out that students are unlikely to have these, and you would be correct, but these are relatively easy to make on your own
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 05:47:02 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2024, 05:53:04 PM by certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

I had deleted the screencap of the Tweet due to the fact the user claiming to be Mossad, was in fact, not Mossad, and didn't want to intentionally be spreading some troll. Hence, why I had took it down. But the overall point of not wanting to be identified by malicious groups remains the same.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2024, 07:45:15 PM »

I am tired of my generation getting lectured on here by the same generation that couldn’t be bothered to get off their **ses in 2010 and vote.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2024, 08:06:43 PM »

I've never worn an N95.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2024, 10:48:18 AM »

This is why I believe a large segment of those participating in these protests are a cult no better than the MAGA loyalists who wear Trump merch everywhere. Horseshoe politics.

Again it’s not all of them - I know some more pragmatic Palestinian protesters on my campus, but just a segment.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2024, 08:31:27 PM »

On one news clip, they said it was because of COVID, but i think most don't want to end up in the:

Jew Hate Database

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6evM63PWvA/

That is one SQL Server you do not want to end up on. Growing rapidly in the last two weeks.

GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2024, 08:41:45 PM »

Would your opinion of the protesters be changed if they were STRONG and buff HISPANIC men?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2024, 09:18:18 PM »

No, this is about concealing their identity.
it's not that though, why specify N95 if they just wanted to conceal?  It's ignorance or virtue signaling.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2024, 11:19:17 PM »

It ain't just gen Z. I mean, people ITT are acting like others choosing to wear masks is genuinely something worth getting offended over.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies