Wisconsin Primary (Event) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:14:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Wisconsin Primary (Event) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wisconsin Primary (Event)  (Read 8615 times)
MarkDel

« on: February 17, 2004, 10:12:09 PM »

Hey guys, I hate to be an "I told you so" but the strong showing of Edwards in Wisconsin lends a lot of credibility to a post I made several weeks ago where I said that the Edwards "populist" message was a major winner for the Democrats if they would only give up the other garbage. Here's what I said a few weeks ago about Edwards and his message:

"So, it's my contention that the average American will be highly suspectible to the rhetoric of Democrats (like John Edwards or Dick Gephardt once one of them becomes the VP candidate to Kerry) who rail against the loss of jobs to foreign workers. I still think Bush is a solid favorite to win, but this Jobs/Trade issue could prove to be the Holy Grail to a Democratic Party which seemingly had ZERO message from 2000 to 2003."
MarkDel

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 10:26:03 PM »

This is sooooo funny. I'm watching Kerry's speech in Wisconsin and all he can talk about is "fair trade" and the loss of jobs overseas. At least someone in his campaign was paying attention to these results.

The bad news for us Republicans is if the Democrats can SHUT THEIR SILLY MOUTHS about weapons of mass destruction and how they'd turn the war on terror into a criminal justice issue, then they might actually win this race if they keeping hammering this fair trade issue.
MarkDel

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 10:46:32 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2004, 10:52:42 PM by MarkDel »

NHPolitico,

Well...you may have turned me into a "fair trade" guy, but in a race between John Kerry and Pat Buchanan, I'd have to vote for a third party candidate. There is absolutely NO scenario where I would vote for an anti-semitic piece of garbage like Pat Buchanan. Besides, Buchanan wouldn't fight the War on Terror any more aggressively than the Democrats...have you heard his isolationist views on foreign policy?
MarkDel

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 11:01:38 PM »

Yeah, so I guess it just makes sense to sit back and wait for the terrorists to gain a stronger foothold among the general Muslim population, and wait for the inevitable "end of the world" type scenario when they acquire widespread use of nuclear weapons.

Using Buchanan logic...well...at least we'll have a strong economy when the nuclear missiles start killing millions of Americans. Buchanan's foreign policy positions are a joke...not an anti-american, surrender monkey joke like the Democratic Party, but a joke nonetheless.
MarkDel

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 11:09:41 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2004, 11:12:10 PM by MarkDel »

NHPolitco,

That won't be enough. Wolfowitz is right, you need to have a profound transformation in the social, economic and political climate in the Middle East. We tried the Buchanan approach under Nixon and all it wrought was increased terrorism and the 1973 war in Israel. The problems in the Middle East are too severe to bandage, there needs to be a full scale surgery.
MarkDel

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 11:15:15 PM »

TomatPitt,

I think you might be right, But don't misinterpret the detailed data that comes out of Wisconsin. While Edwards did do MUCH better than Kerry among wealthy primary voters,  wouldn't go so far as to call them Republican leaning. These tend to be what some people call "limousine liberals" or what I prefer to call "I'm ashamed that I make so much money that I feel obligated to feel guilty and thus give away other people's money Liberals"

LOL
MarkDel

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 12:31:07 AM »

M,

I agree, the Bush/Wolfowitz/Rice/Rumsfeld crowd are the ones who deal in reality.
MarkDel

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 09:14:54 AM »

NHPolitico,

Buchanan initially did not endorse the war in Afghanistan. He remained silent until it started going well, then he said he was in favor of it. He also opposed the first Gulf War. He opposes anything that has a positive impact on our ally Israel and/or a negative impact on any nation or group that HATES Israel.

If you doubt his anti-semitism, try reading the article I linked below. If you still think he's not anti-semitic...

http://www.amconmag.com/03_24_03/cover.html
MarkDel

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 09:18:16 AM »

NHPolitico,

By the way, Buchanan even incorrectly defines what constitutes a "neo-conservative" in order to paint them all as Jewish leftists who moved to the right just to help Israel. Buchanan may not be Adolf Hitler, but he would have looked pretty nifty in a SS Uniform.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies