There are more than 58,000 homeless college students in the U.S.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:04:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  There are more than 58,000 homeless college students in the U.S.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: There are more than 58,000 homeless college students in the U.S.  (Read 3937 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2014, 12:36:30 AM »

Sean McLean's first day of college at the University of Massachusetts Boston came on the heels of sobering news: The night before, he and his family were evicted from their home in Woburn, 9 miles north of Boston.

"I went to school knowing that later that day I would be packing up everything I owned and going to a shelter," said McLean, now 19.

McLean is one of more than 58,000 homeless college students in America today, according to Free Application for Federal Student Aid data from the 2012-2013 academic year. The figure -- which does not account for students who either do not realize they qualify as homeless (i.e., couch-surfers) or those who choose not to report their cases out of fear or shame -- marks a more than 75 percent increase over the previous three years. Administrators and poverty advocates nationwide attribute the recent spike in homelessness among college students to several leading factors: a parent losing a job, a lack of affordable housing and rising tuition costs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/26/college-student-homeless-boston_n_6145980.html
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:54:49 AM »

It reminds me a little of when Arian Foster admitted that he received kickbacks while in college and defended himself by saying that they were the reason he could pay for both rent and food.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »

Homelessness is such a huge problem in this country and it's sad that we have become so used to it that we don't even notice it anymore.  One of the first things I hear from foreigners when I ask them what surprised them the most about the United States is the number of homeless people.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »

Honestly, housing should be guaranteed, especially in wintertime.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 11:09:51 PM »

Abolish all zoning laws and other restrictions on housing size, density, and usage. Also get rid of rent control (since developers have little incentive to build affordable units when existing ones are already rent-controlled). That should go a long way toward promoting affordable housing.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 12:52:12 AM »

Abolish all zoning laws and other restrictions on housing size, density, and usage. Also get rid of rent control (since developers have little incentive to build affordable units when existing ones are already rent-controlled). That should go a long way toward promoting affordable housing.

Why is homelessness less of a problem in Europe despite their real estate development regulation being quite strict?

Houston's lack of zoning hasn't gotten rid of our significant homeless population.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 02:20:16 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2014, 02:22:00 AM by Deus Naturae »

Why is homelessness less of a problem in Europe despite their real estate development regulation being quite strict?
Is it actually stricter than in the US? Even is it is (which I'm skeptical of), American-style anti-density zoning is basically designed to prevent low-income development. Exclusionary zoning is a predominately American phenomenon.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
A good deal of homelessness is the result of factors affordable housing can't fix (drug addiction, mental illness, etc):

Houston is more affordable than most major US cities though:

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 03:18:30 AM »

Sorry but that's not true.  I've lived in places with no rent control and high demand for housing and usually what happens is that the landlords charge the most ridiculous prices for the sh**ttiest apartments.

The only solution is more public housing projects under the condition that you don't put all the poor people in one place which eventually turns into a ghetto that everyone wants to get the hell out of.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »

Abolishing zoning laws is such a terrible idea.

Do you realize the consequences of abolishing zoning laws? That if someone wanted to open up a landfill next door to you they could legally do it? There's a reason we got zoning laws in the first place.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »

Sorry but that's not true.  I've lived in places with no rent control and high demand for housing and usually what happens is that the landlords charge the most ridiculous prices for the sh**ttiest apartments.

The only solution is more public housing projects under the condition that you don't put all the poor people in one place which eventually turns into a ghetto that everyone wants to get the hell out of.

In California, rent control has no affect on what a landlord will charge at the beginning of a tenancy. Prop. 13 has much more of an impact on housing than rent control.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »

Abolish all zoning laws and other restrictions on housing size, density, and usage.

Every solution for you is "completely abolish something", isn't it?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 05:47:11 PM »

I'd be genuinely curious to see how many of the homeless were liberal arts majors. I've been one and I know that was a huge mistake. (I'm not homeless, but it wasn't a smart idea).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies