How would the Supreme Court rule on Trump's Muslim Ban? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:04:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How would the Supreme Court rule on Trump's Muslim Ban? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would the Supreme Court rule on Trump's Muslim Ban?  (Read 1487 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: January 30, 2016, 12:25:12 PM »

I would imagine it would be unanimous against. The Supreme Court requires strict scrutiny for laws which discriminate among religions, such as a law banning only Santeria sacrifices or a hypothetical ban on only Muslim immigration. Considering at least 95% of Muslims coming here are perfectly safe and not terrorist risks, the ban would be so overbroad that you could fly an airplane through it. Say what you will about Scalia and Alito fighting to expand executive power, but I don't see them doing so at the expense of the 1st Amendment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Lukumi_Babalu_Aye_v._City_of_Hialeah
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 08:30:06 PM »

Figuring out how the Court could overturn this is an interesting question. I don't THINK they'd be able to use the Fourteenth Amendment/equal protection for this case. The EP clause reads "nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Are potential immigrants within the jurisdiction of the United States? I'm not really sure they are and precedent points to the answer being "no". Similarly, its hard to say the state is depriving someone of due process when they're not even within its jurisdiction, though a big DP fan like Kennedy might look there.

Do you think that could be overcome with a citizen plaintiff who, for example, is attempting to obtain entry and legal status for a foreign muslim spouse or adopt a foreign muslim child or sponsor a foreign muslim family member? The citizen would have a direct injury to a protected right, even though the ban is on the foreign person. And given that it is a reasonable assumption that family members are of the same religion, discrimination against only foreign muslims has an overwhelming discriminatory impact on the rights of domestic muslim citizens when compared to the rights of citizens of every other religion. That might mean a plurality opinion could narrow the ruling to only the specific visa program in question (family, H-1b, etc.), but I feel the Court would inevitably have to look at the 1st Amendment aspects of the law. And if there's a 1st Amendment analysis, I foresee death by strict scrutiny.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies