Newsweek - First poll to show Hillary leading McCain, Giuliani, and Romney...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:37:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Newsweek - First poll to show Hillary leading McCain, Giuliani, and Romney...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newsweek - First poll to show Hillary leading McCain, Giuliani, and Romney...  (Read 2188 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2006, 09:19:13 AM »

Newsweek

PRESIDENT-GENERAL
Hillary (D) 50%
John McCain (R) 43%

Hillary (D) 48%
Rudy Giuliani (R) 47%

Hillary (D) 58%
Mitt Romney (R) 32%

John McCain (R) 45%
Barack Obama (D) 43%

Rudy Giuliani (R) 47%
Barack Obama (D) 44%

Barack Obama (D) 55%
Mitt Romney (R) 25%
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:22:39 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2006, 03:15:30 PM by adam »

The last poll  reveals the worth of the others.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:00:30 AM »

I wonder if people here will still think McCain is unbeatable. These polls, as far out as they are, have to be worrying to Republicans.

btw, Romney is looking like Al Smith redux.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:13:20 AM »

I've been saying for a while that McCain isn't as strong as he's preceived to be.  I'd much rather face off with McCain than Giuliani (or maybe even Romney).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 11:20:13 AM »

btw, Romney is looking like Al Smith redux.

Romney still has very low national name ID, and people are reluctant to say that they'd vote for someone they've never heard of.  It's too early for polling to be any kind of useful indicator regarding the popularity of the lesser known candidates.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 11:24:59 AM »

Romney still has very low national name ID, and people are reluctant to say that they'd vote for someone they've never heard of.

This is true, but polling shows that over 40 percent of Americans wouldn't vote for a Mormon. A Romney candidacy could lead to depressed evangelical turnout (or even crossover votes for the Democrat), and this will kill his chances.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 11:52:18 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2006, 11:54:48 AM by Governor Naso »

This clearly seems a left leaning article. The way the cover shows Hillary and Obama, acting like one of them will be President and not a hint for the GOP, it's very possible that the samples don't add up. I highly doubt Hillary beats McCain.

Independents:  Hillary:  45   McCain: 45   Undecided: 10

That's very impressive for McCain
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 12:07:45 PM »

My prediction... As McCain continues to weaken as a 2008 contender, signatures on the forum will change to Romney & Giuliani.  Tongue
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 12:11:32 PM »

My prediction... As McCain continues to weaken as a 2008 contender, signatures on the forum will change to Romney & Giuliani.  Tongue

The fact that you actually want a President Hillary Clinton is a bit scary Tongue
Deano963

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 12:25:54 PM »

The last poll shows reveals the worth of the others.

Um.....no it dosen't. Mitt Romney is not very well known at all and at least 30% of the country would feel uncomfortable voting for a Mormon. The poll is not surprising.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 03:11:49 PM »

Republicans shouldn't worry about Romney's Mormonism in the general.  If he passes the primary, then he can pass the general.

This clearly seems a left leaning article. The way the cover shows Hillary and Obama, acting like one of them will be President and not a hint for the GOP, it's very possible that the samples don't add up. I highly doubt Hillary beats McCain.

No it is not.  TIED with Hillary for the independent vote?  That is absolutely terrible! 

Also, what makes you think Rudy would lose to Hillary?  Face it: your boy McCain is going to go down in flames fast once Republicans realize he's not electable, and that a far more pragmatic, electable conservative is waiting in the wings.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 03:56:33 PM »

Republicans shouldn't worry about Romney's Mormonism in the general.  If he passes the primary, then he can pass the general.

No it is not.  TIED with Hillary for the independent vote?  That is absolutely terrible! 

Also, what makes you think Rudy would lose to Hillary?  Face it: your boy McCain is going to go down in flames fast once Republicans realize he's not electable, and that a far more pragmatic, electable conservative is waiting in the wings.

Please, my "boy" McCain is not going down in flames. Here are three recent polls:

LA Times/Bloomberg Poll: McCain defeats Clinton by 14 pts
Fox News/Opinion Dynamics: McCain defeats Clinton by 8 pts
WNBC Marist Poll: McCain beats Clinton by 6 pts

McCain is just as strong as ever.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 04:06:07 PM »

I wonder if people here will still think McCain is unbeatable. These polls, as far out as they are, have to be worrying to Republicans.

McCain's idea about dramatically increasing troops in Iraq, when most Americans -- even Republicans -- want to get out, has surely soured a lot of people on him.

And by pandering to the Theocrats, he's offended moderates while failing to realize that the Theocrats will vote EXACTLY as James Dobson tells them too.  And he won't tell them to vote for McCain unless McCain humbles himself before the throne...in Colorado Springs.

Still -- if our country is attacked between now and the election, McCain is in for sure.  People have the foolish idea that Republicans are better at national defense...despite six years of Beelzebush proving otherwise. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 04:32:38 PM »

McCain's idea about dramatically increasing troops in Iraq, when most Americans -- even Republicans -- want to get out, has surely soured a lot of people on him.

And by pandering to the Theocrats, he's offended moderates while failing to realize that the Theocrats will vote EXACTLY as James Dobson tells them too.  And he won't tell them to vote for McCain unless McCain humbles himself before the throne...in Colorado Springs.

Still -- if our country is attacked between now and the election, McCain is in for sure.  People have the foolish idea that Republicans are better at national defense...despite six years of Beelzebush proving otherwise. 

Please. Do you honestly think a President Gore would have declared a global war on terror?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 04:44:14 PM »

Please. Do you honestly think a President Gore would have declared a global war on terror?

Of course not! Al Gore would've surrendered and let the terrorists win and today we would live in the United States of Allah and have President Osama!

Thank God for George Bush!
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 04:44:36 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2006, 04:46:38 PM by Boris »

Are you really that naive? The "global war on terror" itself is nothing but a political term coined by the media (this isn't the first time it's been used either; I'm sure it was mentioned during the Hijacking of flight TWA 847 in 1985 and during the aftermath of bombing of East African Embassy Bombings and Operation Infinite Reach), and describe as such, is unwinnable. If the "War on Terror" were true, we would not only be fighting Al Qaeda, but also FARC guerillas in Colombia, Basque Nationalists in Spain, and whatever is left of the various factions of the IRA in Great Britian and Northern Ireland, and so on.

Fighting terrorism is a little bit more than giving a speech and doing photo ops. It's about competence and achieving results. A President Gore would have achieved such results and shown competence. With President Bush, we have seen our military bogged down in a quagmire with no easy solution, America reduced from a great nation to a fixation of intense hatred or laughter, and a nation whose cities still aren't still secure from terrorism.  Not all of the aforementioned is the President's fault per se, but like Jimmy Carter, he has not done anything to alleviate the problems.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 04:55:47 PM »

You just proved her point.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 07:28:28 PM »

You just proved her point.

How?
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 07:54:35 PM »

I'm more confident Hillary could beat McCain these days. The only thing in these polls that really makes me confused is how Obama slaughters Romney, but Hillary doesn't, and Hillary seems to better than Obama against other candidates.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 07:59:10 PM »

c'mon! If you Dems want to win, youre going to have to pick Edwards. Besides, it is constitutionally impossible for Bill Clinton to run again
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 11:20:53 PM »

Clinton beating McCain by 7%? I don't buy it.

I know McCain is sinking but I don't think he is sinking that fast.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 03:18:34 AM »

That might not have been a bad thing if he hadn't, because then we could stop proclaiming our resolve to conquer an abstract concept and actually deal with real issues.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 06:39:17 AM »

Newseek? Wake me when a real poll comes in... Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length