The War of the Three Kingdoms (Rules and Sign Ups) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:00:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The War of the Three Kingdoms (Rules and Sign Ups) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The War of the Three Kingdoms (Rules and Sign Ups)  (Read 7485 times)
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« on: February 02, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »

...you got me; Montrose please!!!
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:58:12 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2018, 10:59:49 AM by Garlan Gunter »

Granted

Granted

Granted

Granted

I would like to have the kingdom of Sweden please.

Granted

Can I take King Phillip IV of Spain and Portugal?

Granted

At this rate, I may need to open up more characters.

I reckon both 'main' British factions could contain more or less infinite subdivisions if necessary (indeed in your position I would possibly have limited the game to the British Isles, but that's your choice and I'm sure it will add an exciting European dimension!)

But it would def be fun to play as, say, Waller or Lambert on the Parliamentary side, or Sir Edward Hyde or Rupert on the Royalist

Also wonder if Ireland should be divided like Scotland? At this point the Confederates were pretty totally active rebels against Charles's forces under Ormonde and Antrim...

Ignore all this if too annoying / no more players needed of course

(and forgive my ramblings, this period is presently the closest thing I have to a day job!!!)

EDIT: other thoughts if nec: Netherlands? Denmark? Protestant German princes?
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 01:54:28 AM »

It does strike me that since Monty didn’t really get much done till 1645 maybe I could step in and control Charles for the time being? Although I do think ideally both main English camps, exceptionally divided and treacherous as they were, should be represented by more than one player
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »

This game could be subject to a similar weakness as the (wonderful I thought) Alea Iacta Est - an intimidatingly huge character being indispensable (Caesar, Charles). In such cases even those with time to commit sometimes feel a bit workshy (I tend to prefer an at least theoretically smaller role I feel sure I can keep of top of!)

In a way there might be a case for keeping the Crown - like its opposite Parliament - in an NPCish state, influenced by bickering Royalist players (one could definitely be the Queen!), but determined by the mod - which is, ironically enough given the Divine Right of Kings, often how Charles's court functioned...
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:28:45 PM »

This period has nigh on endless scope for players, I'm sure you'd be able to join in a smaller part than Charles if you wanted?
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 06:00:49 AM »

I think, on consideration, NPC Charles would only work in a version of this setting with a different emphasis, on rivalrous bickering courtiers, politicians, soldiers, clerics, poets, noblewomen etc within one country rather than international heads of state all over Europe - a version I'd be interested to try running one day if there was any demand for it!

Though tempted to volunteer a swap up from Montrose if it saves the game - I don't think the Scots Royalists need necessarily be active yet - I don't want to risk not having the time and letting anyone down.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 06:12:36 AM »

Just trying to work out via map if the Hebrides are controlled by Covenanter Scots or Royalist Irish?! Could imagine both outcomes, sorta...!
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:10:58 AM »

Just trying to work out via map if the Hebrides are controlled by Covenanter Scots or Royalist Irish?! Could imagine both outcomes, sorta...!

Loosley Covenanter Scots, but most are just doing their own thing.

I know the Hebrides a bit, and that sounds uncannily historically accurate!!
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »

I’d recommend crushing victories for Charles, Mountgarret and Scandinavia followed by some recruitment, possibly for new characters (Eg Fairfax or Cromwell could emerge in crisis?)
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 04:02:35 AM »

We made do without Royalist Irish in turn one? And HRE could be npced through inactivity as Parl Eng were last turn...waiting too long might risk testing patience of existing active players?
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 06:37:43 AM »

I'm very sad about this and shall keep my Montrose signature for the mo as a memento!

I really enjoyed it while it lasted and I'd like to have a go at hosting a slightly different game in the same period; I think I'll wait however until after the current ASOIAF one, in terms of my time as well as quite an active board already

Would there be interest? Might it be worth chucking some ideas into the planning thread? Basically my variant would be more British Isles focussed with as much scheming as campaigning

Anyway thanks for what we had DKrol - and Argyll - enjoyed sparring even for a little!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies