For Pete King Examining Terror, a Pro-I.R.A. Past (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:11:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  For Pete King Examining Terror, a Pro-I.R.A. Past (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For Pete King Examining Terror, a Pro-I.R.A. Past  (Read 2229 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:07:52 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/us/politics/09king.html

“We must pledge ourselves to support those brave men and women who this very moment are carrying forth the struggle against British imperialism in the streets of Belfast and Derry,” Mr. King told a pro-I.R.A. rally on Long Island, where he was serving as Nassau County comptroller, in 1982. Three years later he declared, “If civilians are killed in an attack on a military installation, it is certainly regrettable, but I will not morally blame the I.R.A. for it.”

A judge in Belfast threw him out of an I.R.A. murder trial, calling him an “obvious collaborator,” said Ed Moloney, an Irish journalist and author of “A Secret History of the I.R.A.” In 1984, Mr. King complained that the Secret Service had investigated him as a “security risk,” Mr. Moloney said.

But as Mr. King, 66, prepares to preside Thursday as chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee at the first of a series of hearings on Muslim radicalization, his pro-I.R.A. past gives his many critics an obvious opening. The congressman’s assertions that 85 percent of leaders of American mosques hold extremist views and that Muslims do not cooperate with law enforcement have alarmed Muslim groups, some counterterrorism experts and even a few former allies in Irish-American causes.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0311/The_IRA_and_the_Congressman.html?showall

One caveat here that is often missing: The IRA's connections in the Arab and Muslim world were not exactly its most appealing feature. The Libyan government, in fact, agreed last year to pay compensation to the civilian victims of IRA bombings conducted with explosives Qaddafi had supplied to the republicans. The IRA also worked with the PLO in its most violent terrorist phase.

Which is to say both that King's sympathy for the armed struggle in Northern Ireland took in some very uncomfortable alliances, and that his stated understanding of the difference between violent nationalist resistance and transnational terror groups isn't necessarily just about Ireland, or the examples he invokes to the Times, the Irgun and the ANC.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:42:19 PM »

and that his stated understanding of the difference between violent nationalist resistance and transnational terror groups isn't necessarily just about Ireland, or the examples he invokes to the Times, the Irgun and the ANC.

Question: if he hates transnational terror groups like Al Qaeda or Hezbollah, but doesn't mind national liberation ones like IRA or Irgun, how does he feel about Hamas?  It's pretty clearly in the second category.

The Daily Show tonight just played a clip of him saying the Imam of Park 51 should be investigated for his refusal to denounce Hamas, or something of that nature, so...yeah
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:36:56 AM »

does anyone here like Pete King?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 01:41:58 AM »

I don't think any of that is true.  I don't think Sam is in that in love with the Nassau GOP machine and Cinyc & Carl don't like King's pro-gun control advocacy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies