Congressional Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:40:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Congressional Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressional Discussion Thread  (Read 34415 times)
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« on: March 15, 2023, 03:51:12 PM »

I have a comment / question on the Regional Rights Amendment being debated in the Senate. The explanation states the amendment gives regions internal election oversight for non-federal elections.

The text of the amendment is: "and the time, place, manner, and all other responsibilities of conducting Regional, State, and local elections."

Some federal Senate contests are run on the regions election ballot. If those seats are considered non-federal elections, regionas could change time, place and manner of those elections?

If it would be the case under the amendment I oppose that. We have had this discussion before, maybe it was in the last constitutional convention. Some wanted a region to decide how to elect the regional senator. It could be named by the regional council for example. I think it is best to have an election by the voters in this election game. And it is more practical to have senate elections at the same time everywhere and not have one or two weeks difference (assuming the federal constitution could state the month of election and duration of a mandate).

I'm not a constitutional expert but I would think those races count as federal since they choose federal officeholders in the federal Senate.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 04:38:23 PM »

Maybe writing something like this, speaking of regional offices would remove possible misunderstanding.

of conducting elections for Regional, State, and local offices

OK. I introduced an amendment to that effect.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies