Metric Conversion Act [Passed] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:28:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Metric Conversion Act [Passed] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Metric Conversion Act [Passed]  (Read 11583 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 28, 2008, 10:58:51 PM »

I strongly oppose any attempt to mandate that schools not teach imperial measurements.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:29:42 AM »

I strongly oppose any attempt to mandate that schools not teach imperial measurements.

It should be mandated only to teach the metric system, not mandated to not teach imperial.

Speaking as (1) someone who has graduated with a degree in chemical engineering and (2) as someone who edits and writes mathematic textbooks for a living, it is important that the imperial system to continue to be taught so students can participate in modern industry, where, like it or not, employees and engineers will still need to know what a "BTU" is, or understand what a "foot-pound" of torque is when such a measurement comes up on a gauge manufactured before 2008.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »

It should be mandated only to teach the metric system, not mandated to not teach imperial.

Speaking as (1) someone who has graduated with a degree in chemical engineering and (2) as someone who edits and writes mathematic textbooks for a living, it is important that the imperial system to continue to be taught so students can participate in modern industry, where, like it or not, employees and engineers will still need to know what a "BTU" is, or understand what a "foot-pound" of torque is when such a measurement comes up on a gauge manufactured before 2008.

Especially when pertaining to elementary school students, such concerns are not particularly major. I would like the reverse of the current system, with imperial units only introduced in high school while metric units are used throughout schooling.

So far as I am aware (having edited math textbooks for both elementary school students as well as high school students) both metric and standard units are taught in elementary school.

The issue of what to teach and when is not a national matter, but a matter for the regions.  The Senate should not be legislating curricula.  If we pass a bill requiring only metric units to be used in official government capacity, the regions are likely to, with the aid of actual teachers, redesign their curriculum to accomodate our legislative efforts.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 03:01:23 AM »

I guess they weren't as recently as when I was in elementary school. Of course, I was in a pretty poor school district.

The No Child Left Behind act is responsible for very significant changes between how we learned things and how children are being taught today.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »

Nay to any amendment that says what public schools cannot teach.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 11:42:12 PM »

I am not a fan of forced metricization, but it appears my vote here doesn't matter anyways, so....whatever.

Abstain.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 01:58:42 AM »

I'm unaware of the bill's sexual orientation, so I will withhold comment.

The bill slipped me its hotel keys on the Senate floor.  I think it's safe to say that not only is this bill "gay ass," but also a bit promiscuous as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies