Is the US generally a force for good in the world or a force for evil?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:31:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is the US generally a force for good in the world or a force for evil?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Good

Evil

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Is the US generally a force for good in the world or a force for evil?  (Read 726 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2023, 01:11:52 AM »

Evil that thinks its a force for good which is the scariest situation.

Republicans hate America!

I remember being told over and over again during the Bush years that I hated America because I opposed our foreign policy!

Now it's your turn!
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2023, 01:14:41 AM »

The United States essentially defined what it means to be "good" as an international superpower.  Figures like Woodrow Wilson and Eleanor Roosevelt defined the aspirations of the current international order, and the United States has generally seen that as a guiding light ever since -- although this has often taken a backseat to more immediate and pressing concerns, as for example during the Cold War when preventing the spread of the most deadly ideology in human existence by any means necessary was the top priority.

Russia and China, and before them the U.K., France and Spain, had completely different notions regarding what responsibilities a global superpower brings, or what it means to be a force for good in the world.

As a basic example, virtually every empire stretching back to the Romans has seen its primary responsibility as a global superpower to be the spread of its cultural homogeneity via conquest -- ideally non-violent -- and subsequent assimilation.  The United States is the first to (profess to) pursue an objective of assimilating other countries into a framework for maximizing the prosperity of their peoples and the flourishing of their own unique cultures -- so long as those cultures do not conflict with the overall global system meant to safeguard peace and prosperity.

Whether or not the United States always lives up to its professed principles or acts in accordance with them consistently, if you even merely agree that the definition of "goodness" that the United States vocalizes aligns generally with your own personal definition, you really ought to answer "yes", because I can promise you that the Russian and Chinese definitions almost certainly do not; nor would pretty much any great power throughout human history.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2023, 01:15:50 AM »

I remember being told over and over again during the Bush years that I hated America because I opposed our foreign policy!

Now it's your turn!
What makes you think I support Bush? Barack Obama was a better President than he was.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2023, 01:18:53 AM »

Now it's your turn!
What makes you think I support Bush? Barack Obama was a better President than he was.

I never said you supported Bush, I just said you apparently hate America today considering you called it a force for evil. And am making the point that the shoe is now on the other foot regarding which party is truly patriotic; frankly it was clear from the start with Trump claiming he wants to Make America Great "Again," which implies America is NOT great now! Republicans hate America!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies