Predict the next Speaker of the House (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:31:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Predict the next Speaker of the House (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Predict the next Speaker of the House  (Read 2160 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: October 30, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »

Boehner for sure. If not him, Cantor or Pence.

The only chance of it not being Boehner would be him campaigning for Iott turning into a Lott-Thurmond type scandal. With him promising to stop Obamacare and and such, I don't see a tea party backed guy beating Boehner.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »

How is this even a question?  If the GOP takes the House this year (which they look likely to do), then Boehner will obviously become Speaker.  I mean, how many elections in the history of the world have seen a party take over a legislative majority, only to immediately dump their leader?  Only one that comes to mind offhand is Trent Lott being ousted in 2002 after the GOP took the Senate.  So unless Boehner makes a Strom Thurmond-like gaffe, and unless the Dems actually retain the House, he will be the next Speaker.

The more interesting question is who will be the next House Minority Leader.  I'm guessing that, assuming the GOP wins, Pelosi steps down from the leadership, and Hoyer takes over.  But I don't think that's a lock.

In the NY Assembly elections of 1883? 1884?  Teddy Roosevelt worked his tail off as minority leader to make sure the next assembly had a GOP majority and his reword for his successfull effort was being sacked by the NY GOP establishment. You just can't win. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies