Trump: Elizabeth Warren as my opponent “would be a dream come true” (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:02:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Trump: Elizabeth Warren as my opponent “would be a dream come true” (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump: Elizabeth Warren as my opponent “would be a dream come true”  (Read 4749 times)
Bull Moose Base

« on: April 07, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »

It won't take a white man to defeat Trump, so let's just stop pushing the notion that gender or race should factor in who is the nominee. Warren could easily defeat Trump, because she is progressive, but still pragmatic enough to win over swing voters. Besides that, Trump won by about 70k votes across three states to secure 270 and lost the popular vote by millions, so he's far from being in a position of being that secure against credible candidates.
>let's stop pushing the notion that gender or race should factor in who is the nominee
>the nominee shouldn't be a white male

Did you guys (the Democrats) learn ANYTHING about identity politics from last year's election? This is the one reason I won't join the Democratic Party (and why I endorsed Trump despite being center-left), the f'ing identity politics!
The highlighted sentence describes me well.  I'm a registered Republican, but an actual RINO; however the Democrats have gone off the deep end with identity politics.

Driven out of retirement by how crazy this has made me...

Read Invisible O's first sentence again. It is simply saying the Democrats do not have to nominate a white male in order to beat Trump. For anyone who didn't understand, the next part clarifies that race and gender shouldn't be a factor in the choice. It's not even a separate sentence! (It was in response to someone implying Democrats would have a harder time winning with a woman.) Invisible can correct me if I'm wrong.

The fact that it's being misunderstood as an identity-politics attack on white men actually exemplifies perfectly the problem with the backlash to identity politics. It recalls people distorting Black Lives Matter into an attack on white people (it's not) or feminism as an attack on men (it's not). I'm not saying never to push back on political correctness in moments when, like with any other thing, someone has gotten carried away with it. But you can actually do that and still be a Democrat because you have enough perspective to see it's not the biggest crisis facing the world.

And actually even if someone had meant what is being misunderstood here... if women, seeing that society has been treating them unfairly forever, that they're half the population but a small minority of congress and have been none of the 40+ presidents for over 200 years, want to finally have a woman president, that doesn't even strike me as all that outrageous or hostile to men.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »

Thanks Mr.M! Hope all is well. I needed to step away in order to be productive in real life. How else would I make the money to turn around and flush down the toilet on PredictIt?

Even though I gave the above posts a hard time, intuition says they're representative of the attitudes of many voters who swung to Trump. Not sure what the prospects are for winning them back and what effect that reality will have on the primaries. On the one hand, Democrats seem to be having some of electability jitters losing Republicans had 4 years ago. Remember when Rubio and Christie looked like they'd be well armed with electability cases in the primaries but maybe not enough to overcome Scott Walker's appeal to the base? Come to think of it, Warren reminds me of Walker as a veteran of emotional partisan fights, palatable to both base and establishment. So if history repeats itself we're headed for a Trump vs Howard Stern election. Just as the Founding Fathers envisioned.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »

Even though I gave the above posts a hard time, intuition says they're representative of the attitudes of many voters who swung to Trump. Not sure what the prospects are for winning them back and what effect that reality will have on the primaries. On the one hand, Democrats seem to be having some of electability jitters losing Republicans had 4 years ago. Remember when Rubio and Christie looked like they'd be well armed with electability cases in the primaries but maybe not enough to overcome Scott Walker's appeal to the base?

I’m not sure electability matters as much in an election with an incumbent.  2020 will probably be a referendum on Trump, so probably just about anyone capable of winning the nomination would be able to win the general election if Trump is unpopular.  (And won't be able to win if he's popular.)

You’d think this logic would hold as well even in elections without an incumbent, but it often doesn’t work that way.  E.g., Bill Clinton’s popularity not rubbing off on Gore, and ditto for Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Yeah, that's true. Which means Trump looking vulnerable might well attract a field the size of GOP 2016.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies