Senator Tom Coburn Retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:58:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senator Tom Coburn Retiring
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senator Tom Coburn Retiring  (Read 1403 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:48:59 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sad to see him go, he's one of the few Reps that I respect and like.
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/oklahoma-senator-tom-coburn-wont-serve-rest-of-term-102302.html#ixzz2qehrkyiq
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:17:43 AM »

Ouch for OK Democrats. Brad Henry may have been considering a run in 2016 but now that Mary Fallin holds the fate at when the Senate election will be scheduled, she'll make sure it's on the oddest day possible to guarantee an R hold (and no Henry run).

Best wishes to the Coburn family. Hopefully, with partisan views aside, Dr. Coburn recovers. His colleague, James Inhofe also just had emergency heart surgery so the best to him as well, although Inhofe should highly reconsider his 2014 run now.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:06 AM »

Damn, despite frequent massive political differences I always liked him. Hopefully, he'll recover, but it's sad to see him go.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:02:08 PM »

Ouch for OK Democrats. Brad Henry may have been considering a run in 2016 but now that Mary Fallin holds the fate at when the Senate election will be scheduled, she'll make sure it's on the oddest day possible to guarantee an R hold (and no Henry run).

Best wishes to the Coburn family. Hopefully, with partisan views aside, Dr. Coburn recovers. His colleague, James Inhofe also just had emergency heart surgery so the best to him as well, although Inhofe should highly reconsider his 2014 run now.

Does it really matter when the election is scheduled? Either way it would be next to impossible for any Democrat to win in Oklahoma.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »

Does it really matter when the election is scheduled? Either way it would be next to impossible for any Democrat to win in Oklahoma.
Republicans would have a slight advantage if Fallin scheduled the open election for say, June 2015 as opposed to the originally open seat for November 2016. I'm just saying that without the open election being concurrent with the Presidential now, Boren and Henry won't win or run anyways, but could have made it competitive if Coburn were to have served out his term. Whoever's elected to serve out Coburn's term (if I were to guess, likely one of the 5 Reps), is almost guaranteed to run for re-election and there's no way anyone can take down a Republican in a polarized state like Oklahoma. Even Democrats couldn't take down Inhofe in 2008.
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »

I read over at DKE that if Coburn submits an irrevocable letter of resignation, Gov. Fallin could schedule the Special to occur concurrently with the November midterm even though he'd still be in the seat. Considering that in 2016 a Democrat at the top of the ticket could potentially drag down whoever were to run (given how punishingly red Oklahoma is), Boren or Henry could easily not embarrass the party, at the least.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »

Guys, there is a thread up already. Wink
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »

I'm deeply saddened about this. Senator Coburn is among my favorites and will be in my prayers.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »

Oh no, I hope he comes out of this disease okay.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies