For those thinking the country is inevitably failing, what can we do THIS year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:50:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  For those thinking the country is inevitably failing, what can we do THIS year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For those thinking the country is inevitably failing, what can we do THIS year?  (Read 281 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2024, 06:39:23 AM »

Whether it be politically, financially, economically, educationally, social, health-wise, etc (or likely a combination of all), is there anything we can really do this year to change the direction and possibly safe the nation and its people from themselves?

That's what is very frustrating. To effectively punt the next four years, while feeling helpless of the direction of the nation is not a good feeling.  We all see it falling apart right in front of us. Nobody wants to work, the healthcare system is failing, the insurance companies and Wall St. own all, DC is a dog/pony show, the streets aren't safe, the cost of living is up 50% plus for many since COVID, people are nuts on the road, and it goes on and on and on.

What can we do this year?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 10:42:32 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2024, 10:47:18 AM by ProgressiveModerate »

I blame media and especially social media.

Firstly I think social media has spread false narratives that things are crappier than they are by only showing the extremes; extremes wealth and privilege and extreme poverty and violence, making it seem like there’s MASSIVE inequality. Furthermore because extreme wealth is just spammed everywhere people sort of expect it to be the norm when it never was. I really dislike this believe the 60s were some golden era for the mainstream American public than that was far from true.

There’s genuinely a cohort of people on my generation who think they’re struggling economically and getting screwed over until they can afford to party all day in the Penthouse of 432 Park Avenue.

I also think social media has just lowered many people’s social trust and caused them to act weirder and more hateful towards eachother. Social media also comes with the byproduct of less real person interaction where people tend to have more mutual respect for eachother and actually feel more connected to the community around them. Also what allows folks to fall down conspiracies

That’s not to say there aren’t real problems like housing cost, but even that is a bit inflated; it’s only a few cities that have it really bad, and while average home price has generally gone up, so have things like home size.

I think there needs to be a serious mass movement to try and get people off social media, and I think social trust and country optimism would increase.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 06:02:25 PM »

Vote for Biden and other Democrats at rvery level, and do all you can to make sure as many people do so as well, mostly if you're in a battleground state though.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 06:04:54 PM »

It won't be better under Trump with his tax cuts for Super rich
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: