Official Republican National Convention 2012 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:35:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Republican National Convention 2012 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Republican National Convention 2012 Discussion Thread  (Read 26411 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 29, 2012, 02:19:46 AM »

So, I WAS streaming Ann's speech on 3G from my campsite. Until a bear came and literally knocked the tree down right in front of me. So I missed the end. What I saw of it, though, was absolutely fantastic.

Was the bear easy to see?

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »

I really dont like the 'our rights come from nature and god and not from government'....not only is it insulting to the non-religious, it is clearly not accurate. Our rights come from the constitution, the founding document of the government

Jefferson, a Democrat, does not agree.  

Jefferson was a Republican.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:52:55 PM »

I really dont like the 'our rights come from nature and god and not from government'....not only is it insulting to the non-religious, it is clearly not accurate. Our rights come from the constitution, the founding document of the government

Jefferson, a Democrat, does not agree.  

Jefferson was a Republican.

Equating the GOP founded in 1854 with the party founded by Jefferson in 1792 is very misleading as the GOP was far more Federalist/Whig, then anything else. On the other hand, Jackson's Democratic party had plenty in common with that of Jefferson in that it was agrarian and aimed far more at small farmers of the South and West.

And today's Democrats would follow the small government policies of Jefferson and Jackson?

The Federalist and Whig parties were the parties in favor of a robust Federal government capable of taking action.

But in any case Jefferson called himself a Republican.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:32:21 PM »

But in any case Jefferson called himself a Republican.

Actually, I don't think he ever did.  The Party was called Democratic-Republicans.

Did you even read the Jefferson quote I gave earlier, or do you enjoy looking foolish?  The name Democratic-Republican is a largely ahistorical name given to them to distinguish them from the later National Republicans and the modern Republican Party.  Just like no one ever called himself the Byzantine Emperor, yet we refer to the Byzantine Empire when we wish to speak of the later Eastern Roman Empire of 395-1453.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »

Great video - now Craig is doing just a fantastic job, as he always done. I believe he has a future in the Republican Party. Smiley
I believe the Republican party will have more Hispanics in the future, especially future generations.  They'll appeal to their social conservative, family values.

Maybe they'll do better than they have in appealing to the social conservatism of black voters.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »

People are clapping at all the Mormon things. Even if Romney doesn't win, this is a huge step forward for Mormons everywhere.

Next on the list is accepting Atheists Pentacostals.
Amen!!!

If I remember correctly, they tried for acceptance before but got snake-bit.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 02:14:20 AM »

Eastwood was great.

Problem is that you were expecting a political speech.

He always speaks that way.

Problem is the RNC was expecting a political speech and didn't get it.  I suspect the only reason he was put on was because the Super Bowl ad created the false impression Clint was pro-Obama, so they can spin this as "Here's an ex-Obama supporter who supports Mitt.  You can do the same!"
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 02:49:54 AM »

I mean, if Democrats chant O-Ba-Ma, and Republicans chant U-S-A, am I alone in thinking that reflects better on one group than the other...
Of course not, tho I suspect we differ as to which group it reflects better on.  To me if that happens, it means that the Democrats have a nominee they are willing to cheer, while the Republicans have someone they aren't very enthusiastic about.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies