Mideast Senate Debate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:35:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Senate Debate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Senate Debate  (Read 5331 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 07, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »

If the candidates agree to answer, I would like to know how both feel about regional restructuring.

Like the dissolution debate we had much of last year, I opposed that and I oppose redisctricting at this point. We need more active players in order for such an idea to work effectively.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »

If the candidates want to answer, I'd appreciate knowing (in great detail Tongue) what their policy towards Iran would be if they were in the Senate, and what action they would take if elected to address Iran (specifically their nuclear program).

Regarding the nuclear program and Iran in general, we need to utilize the aid of our Arab allies and Israel to bring Amidiemijad to the diplomatic table. As tense as it is in the Middle East we don't need another powder keg close to going up to high heaven.

I'd like to know where the candidates stand on the fragile economic conditions in Europe, specifically concerning the Eurozone and the continued stability (possible Greek pullout and hypothetical subsequent pullouts) of such. What would the candidates do in the Senate to ensure that events in Europe concerning the Euro do not slow our GDP growth (or decline in unemployment rate)?

We are not in the position to aid them with the debt situation. Look at the budget President Polnut has proposed. Over a trillion dollars for healthcare when that could be handled by the market. If you look at history, socialized medicine simply does not work. At 12 trillion in debt shouldnt we be trying to get out of our own debt first.

What would you do in the event that China's economic growth slows, stifling growth in other nations?

The Senator is right but I would like to also say there are things we can do to bolster our own economic engine. First, the regions need to pass Right to Work legislation immediately. As much as the unions have been a good service to labor, there are instances that allowing competition from non-union labor into the same shops To increase productivity lower prices and increase profit margins.

What action would you take to prevent the possibility of a terrorist attack on Atlasian soil?

Look at how Israel handles airport security and do it in a way that honors our rule of law. The same would be instituted on Amtrack and Greyhound.

What would you do to help combat terrorism internationally?

Education is all well and good but it goes deeper than that. One of the most known terrorist leaders, whom we "dealt with" last year courtesy of our Navy Seals had been credited with saying that they attacked us because we are on their "holy land". Yes we should work with, and learn from, our friends but committing aggressive and undeclared wars will only get our hands bit by possibly something much worse.

The nation of Syria is currently experiencing great upheaval, and the casualties are mounting. What would you do to address that situation?

Assad does indeed have to go. Is it our obligation to remove him? No. But as the French aided us in our War of Independence, should the people of Syria seek a Colition of the willing to remove him, Atlasians
should lend her aid to such a group. But while there is a chance for peace and diplomacy we should make with every opprotunity to end this peaceably.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »

What action would the candidates take in the Senate to address tensions in the South China Sea, particularly between the PRC and the ROC?

This is a situation where a two state solution would be a really good idea. I'd propose that the UN recognizes the ROC as its own country like the PRC receives. Both countries need to accept that first. The tensions betwixt the Chinas stem from that.

What would you do to address our foreign military bases (as in Saudi Arabia, Germany, and Japan)?

In German I would institute a gradual drawdown. Saudi Arabia I would just get out.
 Japan would keep levels at this point.

What would you do to address the Falklands conflict?

Let the people of the Falklands decide their national status.

What would you do on the Kurdish conflict?

Why hasn't the international community worked this one out yet? Shouldn't we have worked something out around the time of the 1991 Gulf War.

How would you work with the IMF and World Bank?

They don't serve Atlasian intrests and interfere with our sovreginity. We need to take a more cautious approach with them.

Would you reopen an investigation into 9/11?

We do need one. There is more to find out than just what the mainstream media and government tells us.

What is your stance on the increasing use of drones in conflict?

Reducing casualties of war is always a good thing in messy situations.

And our speed round (or the "I'm typing on my iPod" round): Military funding? atlasian exceptionalism? Iraq? China? North Korea? LRA?

Freeze military funding at current levels. Further cuts would be detrimental to our national intrests. We tread carefully with China, they've been around for a long time for a reason. Iraq has still a ways to go before she'll be back as a regional power. Having them as an ally will make for potential dividends in the War on Terror.

Regarding the LRA, using childern to fight in the "name of God" is one of the most despicable things known to men. We should add them immediately as part of the list of terror groups the international community should go after. In fact we should do that right now. This should be a joint Atlasian/NATO effort to root Kony out and bring him to justice. We should also encourage religious missionaries to send more workers to this part of Africa and conduct a rescue operation to liberate the kids he's enslaved.

We are indeed an exceptional country. When we use the sword of justice rightly. When we are compassionate to the poor of the world while not stealing from our citizens through wrongful taxation (this is not a duty of government but of individuals and the faith communities) and the government recognizes it has limits and trusts the people to handle their personal affairs as long as they are not harming another. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »

To JCL: You have been accused of being a Tea Partier and an extremist, especially on social issues. What is your response to these attacks?

The Tea Party started as a reaction to many in power acting in ways they felt were not within the limits of the Constituition. Especially over fiscal issues. When the government decided to want more control of 1/6 of our economy (healthcare) we felt that was wrong and started getting involved in activism (some even running for office) Most of us had no experience in matters of political activism. Most of us were just everyday folks trying to live quiet and peaceful lives. So yes I am guilty of being a Tea Partier.

Now regarding social issues. I do understand why some think I'm rather extreme. My views on marijuana are closer to the mainstream of Atlasia than most conservatives. With regards to abortion I would say that the pro-life position is not one of being extreme. In a recent survey it was said that the pro-abortion view is only at 41 percent and going further in favor of the pro-life view.

I oppose Internet censorship. If parents not government think certain content is not for their or their child's benefit then filtering is ok. But that is on an individual basis. China is an example of what not to do regarding the Internet.

Marriage is where many here have their biggest "bone to pick with me". I think that marriage is between one man and one woman. The fact that government wants to regulate this most sacred of covenants is an overall symptom of a far bigger problem. If you are an artist would you want your canvas painting violated by grafitti (unless you were combining the two styles)? That is what God feels when humanity messes with the picture of how He looks at relationship with humanity. That's why I can't suppor gay marriage or civil unions. Yet on other matters when some of my fellow believers act in ways that are hateful, like the Fred Phelps crowd, and advocate jail or worse. I will not stand for that. Furthermore this shouldn't be a federal matter at all. The regions and the churches have final authority over marriage. I'm ok with other aspects of gay rights but not on marriage or adoption.  In the free speech angle of this issue I support full free speech on both sides. I oppose the laws some countries have against ministers who are trying to teach scriptural principals on these sensative issues. When I was in Kansas City over New Years weekend, I saw members of Occupy KC. They were protesting the speaker of that night over some incident involving Uganda. That is the beauty of our country. When religious conservatives and Occupy along with gay rights protestors can have their views heard civily without fear of interference from government, That shows there is hope for civility in the political class. History has yet to be written on this issue.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:10:27 PM »

JCL, I'm concerned about your 9/11 answer.  Do you really believe that there is more to 9/11 than the official story?  And also, how would you pay for such an investigation?  Would money have to be diverted from other, far worthier causes?

There are many on the left and right who think the investigation that did occur was tainted to serve political intrests of the time. Sarah Palin came out in support of a new investigation. I do believe Mike Gravel does too. A third or better believe there should be one. It's not a high priority at this time because we have more important issues like our debt crises. 

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »

Holy Mary mother of God, we have a 9/11 truther as a serious candidate in our region?

There is a difference between wanting a new investigation and flat out believing the truthers. I'm just asking for a fair and balanced investigation.

What action would you take in regards to Israel? The UN? Afghanistan? Where do y'all stand on conscription (specifically the current amendment being debated)?

Israel is our friend and brother in the cause of freedom. To press the Jewish people concede land for "peace" benefits neither us or them. If you really want to aid them then eliminate all foreign aid. I understand that may be unpopular but to quote Ron Paul “It doesn’t do any good for most of the people. You take money from poor people in this country and you end up giving it to rich people in poorer countries.” Often that "aid lands in the hands of the elites of the countries we send the money to. That's why I don't trust government handling charity.

I don't trust the UN but it's best to remain to be there for our friends.

Did we not all see the Russians fail to conquer Afganistan? Now that Osama has left this world to have the infinite justice of God fall upon him in eternity can we just leave? I think we can. But instead send educators, missionaries, and workers of compassion rather than agents of a foreign government. To quote a hero of mine in Calvin Coolidge

"America(Atlasia) seeks no earthly empire built on blood and force. No ambition, no temptation, lures her to thought of foreign dominions. The legions which she sends forth are armed, not with the sword, but with the cross. The higher state to which she seeks the allegiance of all mankind is not of human, but of divine origin. She cherishes no purpose save to merit the favor of Almighty God."

I'm absolutely willing to work with the other parties. I have many agreements with the left on enviromental issues. The honorable Senator Ben talks about striking a line. I could say that too.

We have no reason for conscription at this time. Yet I'm going to have to agree with Senator Clarence. It should be a final, emergency option if we need to muster a troop level that would rival the needs we had in World War 2. Limiting conscription to a declared war would suffice.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »

A more general question to both of you, Senator Ben and former Assemblyman JCL:

In a nutshell, what makes you a better Senator than your opponent? Why should those Mideast citizens who are still undecided support you rather than the other candidate?

Ben has been a fine senator. Yet we are in times where a conservative leaning, especially on the economy and fiscal matters, vision is needed to address the difficult road our economy still faces. For instance look at the budget being debated in the senate proposed by the president. There is an imbalance of close to 90 billion dollars. Cuts have to be made and some of them are going to hurt. That means compromises must be made on both domestic spending and foreign spending. That's why I recommend that we cut all foreign aid. Why is 14 billion dollars of taxpayer funded revenue going to a green fund rather than to pay down a 12 trillion dollar debt?  Should the best of us pay more than half of their income in taxes? No. When government confiscates that much, it hinders private charity and thus when the debt is dealt with, the tax structure will see massive reform.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »

Should the best of us pay more than half of their income in taxes?

Wait, what?  The best?  Are you implying that wealthy people are somehow better than non-wealthy people?  If so, that's a rather disturbing idea.

Not by a long shot. The best of Atlasia all around us. We all have gifts to contribute to society. It's not government's role to dictate the terms of how that happens. That belongs to God. Some, like yourself, seem to be blessed in the running of government. Or Badger who knows how to write budgets. Or my reminding us how all, no matter different their politics, or race, or religious creed, or gender be from the mainstream of Atlasian politics that even the smallest voice is one that should have their time to speak. Win or lose I will still be the voice of a silent majority.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »

What would you do to address the Tuareg revolt in Northern Mali (including the new nation of Azawad)?

This is not a matter we should be involved in. Yet regarding the recognition of Azawad I would oppose that on grounds of concerns over religious freedom.

What is your position on the Somalia-Somaliland-Puntland dispute?

I think we should just stay out of it.

They should have a place at the table of free nations. My biggest concern is will they give allowance of religious freedom to the Christian minority without the mandating of the Jizya tax.

What would you do to protect and expand regional rights?

I see this as a matter of both protection and expansion of regional rights. We should strictly enforce the maxim of what is said in the 10 Amendment of the United States (Atlasian) Constuition.
This would include moving matters of healthcare back to the regions and the individuals.

Where do you stand on age of consent laws?

As this is a regional issue the federal government should not under any circumstances step in. As for a matter of regional instance, it should be the age when one does not need parental consent to marry. That I do believe in most places to be between 16 and 19.

What will you do to reform our copyright and trademark system?

I would work with those more knowledgable to find a way to reform these laws and put first the respect for all property rights including those that are of a creative and intellectual nature.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »

Would you support Glass-Steagall-type legislation for Atlasia?  (Sorry if I'm asking this late.)

I would support a Glass-Steagall like law for Atlasia. The repeal under Clinton was one of the event that in the long run led to our current financial crises. I would sponsor such legislation if elected.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »

In closing, I carry the fundamental belief that freedom brings people together. Just because I have a passionate core of beliefs doesn't mean I won't come to the negotiation table to come to hammer out a vision of Atlasia that puts it in the proper order of society the individual, the family and faith community, the localities, the regions, then the national government. So if you want someone who will fight for balenced budgets, a limited and transperant government, and a free society based on the Judeo-Christian worldview then support me as I fight to Restore Atlasia Now

Thank You and may God and Dave Bless The Mideast
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies