The direction of the Republican Party if McCain loses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:05:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The direction of the Republican Party if McCain loses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The direction of the Republican Party if McCain loses  (Read 18984 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: July 15, 2008, 06:44:44 PM »

I think both the GOP and the country can swing much more to the right, well beyond the point where I would support the GOP.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:16:56 PM »

I think both the GOP and the country can swing much more to the right, well beyond the point where I would support the GOP.

Explain.

I think that there are several currents.  A traditional conservative view on social issues coupled with a willingness to uses the forces of big government to enforce those views.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 09:16:36 PM »

Explain.

I think that there are several currents.  A traditional conservative view on social issues coupled with a willingness to uses the forces of big government to enforce those views.

Could you be more specific? I mean, are we talking about state-sponsered religion?

No, but I am talking about a greater influence (or should I say interference) in the lives of individuals.

I said this on another thread.  I think we could see much limited personal rights, a willingness of the federal government to enter into Terri Schiavo type situations, greater police powers.  It isn't fascism, because we would have pluralism, but I wouldn't be too overjoyed about it either.

We could see something along the lines of genetic screening used in employment and criminal classification.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »

Don't forget a populist/protectionist/nativist economic agenda.

That isn't part of it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:25:50 PM »

GOP is increasingly playing the populist card so yes it is part of it.

It depends what you mean by "populist."  The economics are actually drifting away from that in both parties.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »

Uh huh. Disagree. We're seeing the start of a backlash against washington consensus economics. For the dems it was evident with the ohio campaign and for the GOP the fact that vthey've focused more on social and not economic issues.
LMAO. Apparently the fundie wing and paleocons both don't exist in your universe.

I think it McCain loses, there may be a successful resurgence of the "fundie wing."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies