Latest Charlie Hebdo Cartoon (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:32:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Latest Charlie Hebdo Cartoon (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latest Charlie Hebdo Cartoon  (Read 1210 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:12:55 PM »

That's Charlie Hebdo's style. You may like it or not, but it's rather clear what their standpoint is.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »

Even after reading your replies ... OK, I sort of see the point to the first cartoon after the explanations -- large sections of the (at least eastern and British) European public actually believe that to be the case -- even if I don't accept that this public would ever much be swayed by 'satire'.

The second is still a pure non-sequitur. Baffling, really.

I'd say it's taking the (moronic) idea that refugees come to Europe because they feel entitled to the West's level of material comfort by showing that the dead kid's goal was to get a McDonald's Happy Meal (instead of, you know, not dying from war/starvation).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 12:52:32 AM »

Even after reading your replies ... OK, I sort of see the point to the first cartoon after the explanations -- large sections of the (at least eastern and British) European public actually believe that to be the case -- even if I don't accept that this public would ever much be swayed by 'satire'.

The second is still a pure non-sequitur. Baffling, really.

I'd say it's taking the (moronic) idea that refugees come to Europe because they feel entitled to the West's level of material comfort by showing that the dead kid's goal was to get a McDonald's Happy Meal (instead of, you know, not dying from war/starvation).

I really doubt this. As I said, Charlie Hebdo is pretty consistently in favor of unrestricted immigration.

That's the point. It's called irony.

FTR, I am a subscriber to Charlie Hebdo.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »

Charlie Hedbo remains annoying, I see. Too bad people will keep puffing them up because they provoked the bear that attacked them.

Oh, so you're still a dick. It's nice to see some things never change in this chaotic world.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 12:41:54 AM »

They can say what they want, and they have a right not to be killed. But I have the freedom not to like their content and not to care what happens to them.

Normal human beings don't need to agree with a person in order to care when said person gets brutally murdered. There's a little thing you might have heard about, it's called empathy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies