Will Biden flip Inyo County, CA? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:56:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will Biden flip Inyo County, CA? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Biden flip Inyo County, CA?  (Read 3992 times)
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: November 07, 2020, 01:18:15 PM »

Environmentalists and national park rangers don’t like anti-science, climate change denying politicians.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 09:32:58 PM »

Environmentalists and national park rangers don’t like anti-science, climate change denying politicians.
That may be the case for some people in Inyo, but the county has consistently voted Republican by about by over 10 point margins, even for Trump in 2016. Why would the people in Inyo have flipped parties now and not sooner?

Crack theory: climate change is progressively getting worse, and Trump has been more administratively incompetent than previous Republicans. Maybe the voters of Inyo county reached a breaking point?
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 12:23:18 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2020, 01:24:04 AM by khuzifenq »

Biden and Trump both gained about 2% in California compared to how Clinton and Trump himself had done in 2016, with a decline in the third-party vote. Obviously, they also both gained in terms of raw number of votes-especially Biden, given the massive increase in turnout this year. 29% is still a very wide margin, but I think that the results here do reflect Trump's improvement among minority voters (i.e. Biden doing worse than Clinton in heavily Hispanic Imperial County); Biden's overall gain in the state over Clinton can be attributed to his gains among white voters, especially college-educated whites and white men, although he certainly received a higher raw number of nonwhite votes than Clinton did, again due to the increase in turnout.

45 increased his share of the vote by close to 3%. It doesn’t really bother me that the state as a whole swing ~1% R, it’s where most of the swing came from- San Jose and Los Angeles.

I get that Hillary was a uniquely good fit for California’s heavily college-educated, Latino, and Asian electorate. And the polls did suggest 45 increased his support among nonwhite groups from 2016. I understand how COVID-19 hampered the Dems’ ground game, and how lockdowns made many service-sector employees more receptive to the incumbent than they otherwise would be. But even so, it was surprising to see Trump do as well with those groups as I imagined only a hypothetical President Rubio would or even could.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies