Please explain the 1st debate "bounce" to me (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:55:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Please explain the 1st debate "bounce" to me (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Please explain the 1st debate "bounce" to me  (Read 4036 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« on: November 18, 2012, 11:04:02 PM »

The first debate is NOT as clear as it first appears.

1. Romney was already getting positive traction before the first debate... so it's hard to determine how much was natural movement and how much was clearly debate-related.

2. Whatever movement Romney got was muted by the 'good' economic numbers straight after, it took almost a week to see the full impact of the bounce... which was not a 'bounce' it was movement.

The underlying point is that Romney's base was already coming home by the start of the first debate. In fact, the overwhelming response to the first debate accelerated a process already taking place. It excited the GOP base and moved some independents and undecideds into the Romney camp.

It's a bit like the smaller 'bounce' people say Obama got after the 2nd debate... but it's clear he was already re-gaining ground before the debate.

In hindsight, losing that first debate will probably be seen as an absolute God-send for Obama.

Couldn't Obama have demolished Romney to the point of no return had he won that first debate, though?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies